Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Too much bass bad for Hearing?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 82Jimmy, Oct 27, 2000.

1. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Uh...not to sound like a retard but if I say run at 150db without protection will I be deaf at age 18? can any of you notice bad hearing after extended times of loud bass.

..........and one time at band camp.........

2. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Depends on how long you stay in your vehicle.
    If you spend 8 hours straight with 9 15" speakers pouring all that juice into your brain, your eardrums would probably be ringing for the rest of the day, maybe worst, when you're wife asked if you got the dog food from the store, you would look at her funny and say that you love her too.
    That is my opinion, basically I listen to my walkman for 17 years, I guess I was 14 or so.
    blasting those Sony V-600 headphones with heavy bass or heavy metal like White Zombie can put some heavy ringing in your ears.
    Do yourself a favor, your ears are most important in your life, I guess if you want to hear your music, try not to turn it so loud, bass is not too bad, but when you get out of your vehicle, the earthquake from your truck goes with you as you tremble yourself to work..
    Laters
    Michael Wiley

1977 K5 Blazer
    1975 K5 Blazer
    Running over those big waves that rocks us

3. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

TO answer that question, yes extnded periods of loud music is bad for your ears. And the louder your stereo is, the more time comes into play. 150 db is very loud and very damaging. I got inot a vehicle that was pushing out 160db's and I sat in it for like 15 mins and when I got out my ears were ringing. Just be careful, and don't listen to your stereo cranked all the time.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

5. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I just don't want to have to wear hearing aids when I am 30...also do those huge gun muffs work well? I don't want so sound like I have 4.5 brain cells I just want to be able to go through a parking lot with it cranked ALL THE WAY and have everyones car alarms going off and people turned around looking at me....and I don't want to feel like my heart is that of a 96 year that took Resilin.

6. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I'm older than most of you guys. Years ago, I spent a lot of time around loud live rock music in nightclubs and in concert settings. I'm talking 120db or greater. I also flew small single and multi-engine airplanes that have loud cockpit noise. For both of these loud noise situations, I never used any ear protection. I didn't use ear protection when shooting guns or operating power tools either. As a result, I now have hearing impairment. It's not really hearing loss the way one would think, but it affects me when there is loud ambient background noise, like music, noisy restaurants, sporting events, etc. When someone next to me is talking, I barely hear them and only understand the 3rd or 4th word, or I don't hear them at all and just see their lips moving. Others, who are the same distance away, however, hear the person just fine. It's worse when trying to hear people with higher pitched voices, which most women have. In situations where there is no background noise, I hear like normal.
    The hearing impairment I have is not a horrible thing but it can be quite annoying when I'm really trying to hear and I can't. If I knew back then what I was doing to my hearing, I would have used ear protection like I do now. I also need to mention that this condition didn't show up until years later. I've been to 3 ear doctors and done my own research and I am positive the cause was from being around loud noises. I've never had any ear problems, such as ear infections, my entire life. There is no cure, and doctors say the problem will continue to get worse as the years go by.
    I now use those little spongy earplugs. Just roll them between your fingers to squish them, insert them in the ear, and they expand to fill the shape of the ear canal. They work extreemly well. If the noise is loud(110db-120db), but not really loud (120db+), I pull them out of my ear a little to make them slightly loose. This still cuts the highs & dampens the noise spikes, but allows for normal hearing. Plus for my impairment, the use of these earplugs, in loud background noise environments, allows me to hear the person next to me, where without the plugs, I couldn't.
    So to answer your question, I don't think that if you listen to music at 150db, that you will be deaf when you are 18, but I do think you will begin to have hearing problems in your thirties like I did. And it will get worse in your forties, like it's doing to me. Do your own research on this subject, there is plenty of information available. Back when I was doing damage to my ears, nobody was talking about ear damage or using hearing protection. It's because of guys like me who over-exposed their ears to loud noise years ago, that they now have this medical condition to examine, study, write about, and give warnings about. We didn't know about Aids back then either. Use protection.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

7. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

It's like CrazeeBush said. I have a system in my Blazer that hits 145-150db and haven't noticed a problem yet. What you have to be careful of is the amount of time you are listening to the stereo that loud. It's pretty rare that I crank it all the way up for more than a minute or two or at a competition. Just be careful about how long you have it cranked and you should be ok. If you have it cranking at 150dbs for 15 minutes, then yes, you will have hearing damage.

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

8. Bryant

Bryant Registered Member

150DB!! Can you say jet fighter. you will be deaf in no time. At that level it only takes seconds to PERMENATLY DAMAGE your hearing. I'd use hearing protection if I wear you.

ps. I have a 1200 watt system in my 95 ImpalaSS. ;)

Bryant

9. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Im sorry, but I have to call bs, Tell me what you have in your rig that produces 150db and remeber this is what I do for a living amd I know how hard it is to produce that kind of pressure. I guess the real question is if it did move the meter to 150, then at what frequency did it tickle the mike and where was the placed in the vehicle?? I have to agree with the guy above me, 150 will cause damage in minutes, Sitting in a vehicle producing that kind of pressure is a life changing expereience, you can hardly breath, you cant see, Again I say this because I work in this feild. Im not trying to make ya look bad or anything, I just have a hard time believing it.

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

10. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Yea, i do alot of messing with audio stuff too, and i don't think you people would have any windows in your car if you were hitting 150db and just driving merrily down the road. Your windshield would be blown out and your hard top may possibly be blown off too. Ok maybe not the last one but still i know it is hard to hit 120db much less 150db

Doug Krebs

11. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I have a 118 db air horn in my rig and it it loud as crap on the outside, I can't imagine another 30 or so dbs and being inside the truck with it. But if you can do it, try going through the drive though at Mc Donalds w/ it all the way up.

Dawson
    88 K5

12. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

The mike was always placed on the dash. I've been competing for about 6 years now and have worked at a few local car audio stores along the way. As for what was in the truck to hit 150, I had 6 Lanzar DC series 12's running off two Optidrive 2500 amps, Kicker resolution 6 1/2 components front and rear run off a Optidrive 2200, 2 Kicker resolution 4" for a center channel, Lanzar E30 30 band EQ, MTX LSB1. Along with that is dual batteries, stinger alternator, and 2 Stinger 1 farad caps.I have recently dropped to three of the 12's in the interest of having some room in the back. As for it hitting 150, It won't do it that often or for very long, but it will hit 145 with no trouble. There are a lot of people around me that are hitting pretty high db's. It seems to be getting easier. Look at Team Gates in the Bronco. It's not that hard to hit 120db's. To get full points for SPL in IASCA competition you have to hit 135.

13. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Would 4 15" in rockford powers powered by 2 ppi 1400X1watt amp bread my windows??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!......I don't want to break windows....

14. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Would 4 15" in rockford powers powered by 2 ppi 1400X1watt amp break
    my windows??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!......I don't want to break windows....

15. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

BONdO that sounds legit, I wasnt trying to get into a pissing contest or insult ya. As far as you 82jimmy, It takes a whole whole whole lot to break out a window. A very good costomer of mine runs 12-12" RF subs and 5 Punch 225's, He competes very often. He consistantly hits 154db, you cannot sit in it for long and you sure as hell dont drive around with it up that loud. It hasnt blown out the front window, it has caused it to crack.

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

16. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

That's ok, DBlazer, you didn't hurt my feelings too bad!! I know what you were thinking. There's alot of people that run their mouths about having the loudest system but can't back it up. If you're anything like me, you had to check. Actually, other than competing, I bought the system to shut those people up. With just the three 12's it's still hitting 140 and sounds damn good. I would've left the others in but I needed some room.

17. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

DBlazer is right on about that much SPL making you feel weird. I was at an IASCA show in Missouri with a bunch of guys from a shop in K.C. Anyways I was sitting in the back of their demo van when they did the SPL competition. It had a wall of 8 Kicker 12's and a really big amp on each pair. I was drunk so I don't remember what brand the amps were. We didn't even have a test CD so we put in Tupac and hit 148 on a pretty nice AudioControl RTA with the mic in the drivers seat. I'm not ashamed to admit I had my fingers in my ears the whole time...it was insane.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

"Prolonged exposure to ambient noise levels above 85db <font color=red>WILL<font color=black> cause permanent hearing impairment." Obviously, that's a quote. It's from my training textbook for aviation safety. Another: "Even momentary exposure to noise levels above 120db <font color=red>WILL<font color=black> cause permanent hearing impairment." Your average jet airplane produces about 130db, depending on power settings. The CH-53E helicopter can produce up to 135db outside, and 145db inside the cabin. I will tell you from experience that 145db is <font color=red>PAINFUL!<font color=black> At that kind of SPL, the cilia in your ears (tiny hairs that allow you to hear) can break off. They are similar to nerves: once damaged, they do NOT heal. Ever notice how sometimes you have to keep turning the stereo up louder and louder because it seems to be getting quieter? That's your hearing being <font color=red>PERMANENTLY<font color=black> damaged. I'm probably going to end up getting disability from Uncle Sam due to my hearing damage, caused largely by my own stupidity as a young Marine, because I didn't want to look "un-cool" with foamies or muffs on. Well, I'm paying the price now. In conversations, my wife constantly has to tell me or signal me to talk lower because I end up talking too loud so I can hear myself. I sometimes don't hear people talking to me, so people sometimes think I'm ignoring them. My wife gets upset with me from time to time for that very reason. I'm only 26, and this is what I face for the rest of my life. Is this what you want you life to be like?

Now don't get me wrong, I like loud music as much as the next guy, and I'm not telling anyone to turn it down, but you need to be smart about your hearing and protect it when you can. Otherwise, your future may be kinda quiet...

**This is my 2 cents on the subject. I apologize for the length.**

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Try to learn from us old guys............my father in law ran jackhammers in his late teens and now, at 59, has a condition known as "tinnitis", which is an almost constant ringing in the ears........drives him nuts. Like Gandolf said, he can't hear you sitting next to him in a loud, crowded environment. I consider myself very lucky, having had pretty decent stereos in my vehicles over the past 20 years to still maintain the same baseline on my yearly audiogram (have to do it for work). And believe me, I cranked Boston, Rush, Judas Priest, Scorpions et al a LOT back in those days. Nowadays my 200 watt system is plenty fine for me...........though I do miss the 15" single sub in my first Blazer........rattled the damn top........

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

20. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status