Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Too Much of a Good Thing...Flex

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, Oct 10, 2003.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Does anyone else have this problem? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif when i'm going over an obstacle that flex's my front suspension the stock front bumper gets all diagonal to the body. i know frames flex but this is so bad that the corners of my front bumper have taken out my front blinkers almost every time i've been off-roading and have even done some sheet metal damage just around the blinkers because the bumper has flexed so differently from the body. the only reason i could think of was maybe my front body mounts ripped (or rotted) off the frame at some point. help? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I don't have that much. I'd look into see if your core support is even attached to the frame. A lot of times the little supports on the frame rot out. In combination with that the cups and underside rubbers rot out and quite often you can move the core support around a lot.

I have relatively new body bushings and cups. They were all replaced last year with new OE ones.

I have a swaybar so I don't get the flex you do but here is a picture of the box flexing as compared to the cab:
    http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/wheeling/blackcreek_flexing-101003/flexinglog3_09.jpg

As you can see I don't have the flex in the front like you're talking about. A lot of it probably has to do with the sway bar.
    [​IMG]

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

check out the body mounts, if they are rotted and allowing the body to flex off the frame...it could cause your problem..

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Flex doesn't cause that, bad body mounts do. Ceck 'em out, I'm sure they're rotten.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Mine does the samething, my fan hits when I get flexy. I'm installing new Polyurethane body mounts to help correct the problem.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Yes, I have damaged several rad supports and busted alot of front mounts and bushings. I saw this on another K5 and did a similar thing. My radiator support has 1 spring loaded mount in the center and the front bumper is still attaced to frame, but extended out an inch to clear sheet metal [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This allowed the radiator support and the body to stay fixed and allow the frame to flex with no body damage.