Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Too much play in the steering wheel.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by frank8808, Aug 6, 2002.

1. frank8808

frank8808 Registered Member

I have a 91 K5 Blazer (Silverado) I dont know the correct way to adjust it. I /forums/images/icons/confused.gif know that you tighten screw in the steering box. But how much do you turn it? Someone told me that you had to lift the front end off the ground then make the adjustment?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What kind of play? If you have verticle play only at the wheel, it has nothing to do with the steering components EXCEPT the tilt mechanism.

Everything else is under the truck. You need to start with the steering shaft under the hood, make sure the pot and rag joints aren't worn out, (thats before it even reaches the steering box) and then after the box, you'll need to check all balljoints in the steering system.

Easiest way is to leave the truck off, and crawl under it/look in the engine bay, and have someone turn the wheel slowly. Look for someplace that one component moves before the other. I have a feeling *most* of your slop will be other components than the steering box.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

After you check the drag link-most likely the problem and the tierod-could be, but not usually, only then go to the steering box. You dont need to jack it up, just loosen the jam nut then tighten the set screw a 1/2 turn at a time. If you have replaced your steering arm recently make sure the nuts that hold it on are tight. Also, look for cracks in the frame or loose steering box bolts.