Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

too much road noise to hear the stereo

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ugly, Oct 26, 2004.

1. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

the 454, flowmasters, and military tires are killing my sound..

72 blazer with a full rubber mat on the floor, 40 watt stereo, and kickers mounted in the fenders (pointing at eachother) behind the front seats.

should I add door speakers (already cut) or build boxes on the roll cage above my head, or mount speaker into the head rest or add an amp?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would definantly try and get that cab sealed much better first. Adding speakers and power will just make your ears ring after you get out from trying to outblast the road noise with the stereo.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

72 blazer with a full rubber mat on the floor, 40 watt stereo, and kickers mounted in the fenders (pointing at eachother) behind the front seats.

should I add door speakers (already cut) or build boxes on the roll cage above my head, or mount speaker into the head rest or add an amp?

[/ QUOTE ] Some quality speakers in the headrest might be a good idea.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reducing the "noise floor" will be the better way to deal with the issue. Making the stereo LOUDER will be annoying, and you'll still lose the subtleties of the music using that solution.

There have been plenty of posts about McMaster-Carr Polymeric mastic as a cheap alternative to Dynamat. It sounds like you need LOTS of it.... at least it's cheap enough that you can afford to go wild with it.

I'd hit the floors with at LEAST 2 layers (3 would be better) and then attack the inner bedsides and the inner door skins. The more you can deaden that metal, the better the existing stereo will sound.

Also, I know it sounds obvious but if your exhaust has "turndowns" under the truck, you are creating a real noise nightmare. Get the exhaust rounted somewhere out the back or rear corners. Also, try grooving or at least "siping" your tires. Breaking up those large treadblocks can really help to calm the noise down. I know this from personal experience on my TSLs.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Hey Greg, do you remember about how much you paid for enough Polymeric mastic do do you Blazer?

Thanks

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Greg, do you remember about how much you paid for enough Polymeric mastic do do you Blazer?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

32" x 54" is less than $15.

McMaster p/n = 9709T19

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

yeah, I have the webpage on their site open to it but how many sheets did it take for say 1 layer?
    Sorry for confusion

8. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

sounds like dampening is the way to go. how does the stuff that you reccomended compare to rhino lining, or paint on versions of sound dampening?

if I use those sheets, can I add a product like rhino in the future?

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Or you can try Quiet Coat. Read about it here .