Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

too much steering play

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Nov 18, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I have just finished my crossover steering. New box, new lines, new tie rod and draglink from sky, all new ends from sky, knuckles with new ball joints. But now my steering wonders all over the place. Even more than when I had the stock Saginaw. What would cause this.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Have you checked your alignment?

Do you have a bolt in steering brace?

3. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I have a weld in and a bolt in steering brace. I have not had my alignment checked yet. Could that cause so much play. Its like my truck just wanders side to side and I have a little slop in my when I compensate for this.

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

When I did my x over I had a similar problem. It felt like the alignment was off but in fact it was that I did not have the pitman arm zeroed on the sector shaft. So when I would turn or drive in a straight line the box would try to come back to neutral or center but it was actually off and caused the fade. My first reaction was to correct, which caused similar problems that you have stated. I also changed my steering stab after the x over and noticed a difference. Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

Steering box adjustment?????? (I know I ended up doing this on a 67 Nova/Acadian that had the same problem).

6. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I will try the pitman arm but it looks to be centered. Would I need to adjust a new steering box?

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Would I need to adjust a new steering box

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for yelling but....DO NOT ADJUST YOUR STEERING BOX!!!! That lock nut at the top of the box has nothing to do with play in the steering gear. It sets gear mesh. If you try to adjust it, you run the risk of having it fail on you while your driving down the road. It will be possible for it to bind up and not turn, or bind up during a turn and not straighten out. If you are having big time play issues, check everything, then check it all again. Did you check your wheel bearings? ball joints? frame? You may be having a problem totally unrelated to the new parts you installed. I found this out the hard way. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

What kind of shocks do you have? I had the same problem with wandering after my change to crossover.

I am running 9012s and after trying literally everything, I stiffened up my shocks and greatly reduced the problem. The body sway really affects steering with crossover...

9. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I have the 5012's