Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Took 44 hours to go 1500 miles, but at least I survived (with pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 24, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Left Spokane, Wa. at 2:00 PM, Pacific time, headed for Roy Utah.

My calculations for estimated trip statistics were the following:

1,461 miles
    28 hours of driving
    5mpg
    293 Gallons
    Over $500 in fuel

I forgot to take into account the time zone change.

Had to stop twice in Montana cause a trailer taillight fell off twice, and we also were dragging a chain for many miles. Did some temp fixes.

1st scheduled (non-fueling) stop after going across the Idaho panhandle to Montana, then back down to Id, was Idaho Falls. Had gotten gas 5 times by the time we got there. Should have been there by 11pm, but was 1:41 am.

Stopped and picked up a 318 motor and an axle and some rims from Eric, took a look at a sweet K5, then went on our way to Pocatello, Id. in heavy fog. Lost a wiper blade and had to replace it. Made it to Pocatello at 3:30 am, had to wake up David at this stop and pick up a tranny.

At 6:29 am Saturday, we made it to Roy, Utah, and took a 2 hour nap in the truck. Then called Keith (kgblazerfive) and met him to get the Crew cab. Met up with Redd from SLC who got a tranny and T-case from me.
    [​IMG]

Then we loaded up, and Keith was nice enough to spend a majority of his morning helping load up and he even welded a broken corner of my trailer. Thanks very much to him. I ripped the exhaust off the Crew cab we were loading when the motor on the trailer decided to hang up on the pipe.
    [​IMG]

We also had a trailer tire decide to give out while there, so we put the spare on and got another used spare from Discount tire across the street.

Got on our way at 1:30 pm, headed home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stopped in "no-where" Idaho to get gas. You know you are no where when the gas is way overpriced, and they wont even let you pump over 10 gallons cause the station is low on fuel.
    [​IMG]

Got pulled over in Boise for the temp taillight setup not being bright enough. Luckily, the officer was very nice about it, and just said we need to make it more visible. So, we spent some time and put on another set of trailer lights. I was really lucky he didnt say anything about how loaded we were.

Sometime around 9pm, we met up with Brett (77fixer), and picked up a seat and other parts from him. He and his wife were kind enough to feed us some pizza and offer their house to stay in if we wanted to crash. But we chose to keep going towards home.

By now, the trailer and my truck was extremely loaded. But that didn't stop me from squeezing in 4 more 35" tires from Kevin (twistedjack) Sorry I didnt get to meet you in person. My rear springs were feeling the weight when we left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Left the Meridian, Id. at midnight Saturday. About 5:30 am, we got through Oregon, to Pasco, Wa. Then looked up my direction to where I had to drop off the seat. Had to backtrack some and head west 20 miles to Benton City in more fog. At about 6:30 am Sunday morning finally found the place, dropped off the seat and hub parts, then lugged the load back down onto the highway, and headed home.

It was light the rest of the way, and we made it home at about 9:45 am this Sunday morning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

About 1500 miles
    257.313 gallons of fuel
    $438.52 in just gas
    Stopped 17 times for fuel, used 17 tanks of gas
    a bunch of parts
    30 hours of driving
    2 hours of sleep
    a near empty wallet
    and met some nice people

Thanks to all of you who we met and talked with, and for being patient with me and my late schedule, and for working with me on either time or money or help or food and all that. Thanks again. :)

2. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it was a great adventure, but you missed one stop... dropping that new crewcab off at my house.... hehehehe :D

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Damn dude, 5 mpg? Maybe you should have bought some spark plugs along the way!

4. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

i dont think thats to bad with all that stuff he was hauling...:grin:

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've gotten worse than 5 mpg when I had my 350...and it was in perfect tune. I was flat towing that 82 Blazer home from Texas. As soon as I turned west on the I-70 I was dead into a 35-50 mph headwind all the way to just outside Denver.

Without the headwind I was managing 10 mpg towing the 82 and running about 65 mph.

Allen, FWIW I voted that I thought you'd make it the whole way without any real trouble. Good to see I was right, and you had a relatively uneventful trip (aside from fuel cost).

rene

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What was the point of dragging the crew cab around on the trailer if you never dropped it off to anyone? Seems like you drug around alot of weight for no reason at all. If it left your house and ended up back at your house then why take it at all?

Did I miss something, it is early? :dunno:

Harley

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

here ya go...

8. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

And you had people in Vettes driving you off the road :grin:

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I too voted no incident trip ;) I knew ya could do it. :grin:

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Also looks like yer the president of the "I'm addicted to 4 doors" club I just became a member of recently :grin: How many crew cabs that make now? I personally have 2 to start with (tryin to get more :waytogo:) and have plans on starting in on my burb collection (one for regular driving rig and 2 to be graphted into a limo) as soon as I get the garage at least built. I have the opin that houses are second in important to garages... I'm :screwy: and addicted to working on chevy trucks way too much :grin: I do not think It is possible that I could own too many 4 door chevys :grin:

11. mountainexplorer

The motor was running "ok" when we left. Plugs were fine, and all the external stuff on the motor was ok (wires, dist, cap, rotor, etc). The miss it has is internal. Whatever it is, its worse now. Still drove the whole way without any incident, but definitely was gutless. The miss is much worse now. I was getting annoyed just before we dropped off the seat in Benton City, it was so gutless and took forever to get up to speed if it even could. Course our total vehicle weight was more than legal I'm sure...

7300 lbs for my Crew Cab
    7000 for the other one
    1300 I think for the trailer
    850 lbs? Motor, 12 bolt axle, doors,fenders, pair of SB heads, tools, jack
    200 lbs? Two spares, 4 stock 16" rims and tires, 4 35" tires
    100 lbs other misc

16,750 GCVW. When I saw the lights pulling me over in Boise, we had just passed a weigh station, and I was thinking, I'm in trouble now.

There are now 3 crew cabs at the house here, one more (Brutus) about 10 blocks from here at a friend's house, and the "Big Crew Cab" up north in the shop in pieces. So I guess 5.

I already got two of the doors that I picked up from 77fixer on the way home bolted onto this crew cab, and It's still not off the trailer yet. I'm always excited to work on new projects, when all my old projects sit unfinished. :confused:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

When you add the weight of a combination vehicle it's called "GCW". GVW would be the weight of the towing vehicle.

13. mountainexplorer

Oops, my mistake. Correction made.

14. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think that that is a very conservative weight guess Allen, I would bet that you were closer to 20,000. But hey no tickets and you survived which is a miracle in of it self. That trailer still amazes me:D

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

yep, I agree. I think you are a little conservitive on you guesstimates. Glad to see you made ok!

16. mountainexplorer

I usually try to make conservative estimates... to kind of counteract the usual exaggerations that most people would make. If I were an exaggerator, I'd say we weighed over 30,000 lbs. :D

One thing I will exaggerate is fuel mileage. I guessed real bad at 5mpg, cause I got 7.5 mpg on my Oregon trip in the same truck with a camper on it and the trailer, mostly empty. And my 5mpg estimate was real close this time.

17. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Congrats on making it back alive. I'm jealous of you, I think I saw that CC for sale just after I left UT and it was too far to go. One of these days I'll get mine!

When you add the weight of the combination of vehicles it is called GCVW. GVW describes the total weight of any of the individual vehicles (trailer or truck).

18. mountainexplorer

Ok, so we were probably over 20,000 lbs GCVW, cause I forgot to count the NV4500, the custom seat and some other parts in the back.

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You can just bring that to my place Allan...:D

Rene

20. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

I should have figured it was someone on the board when I passed you Sunday morning. I sold some mog 406 axles to a guy in Alberta and I met him halfway in coeurdalene. I passed you right where the cop got on the road and slowed everybody down. I was driving the lifted blue dodge dually with the mog axles in back. Small world huh?