Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Took a little exploring trip yesterday...

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by shane74, Aug 30, 2004.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

and ended up on one the coolest spots in the local area IMO. My buddy Dave and I went for a trip to the hills to do some exploring and look for some cool camp spots w/ wheeling nearby. We went through Yacolt and up FR54. We cut up the FR4411 road. For this road, you need a pretty capable rig to make it, and you can't really care about your paint job! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That brought us out about 1/2 up the mountain. We kept heading up until the road ended..about 30' from the peak /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif. According to GPS and the topographical map, we were above 4000 ft. From that point, we could see all of Vancouver and the surrounding Portland Metro area, Mt. Hood, Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainer, and a couple others I know I'm forgetting. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif We didn't have a camera with us, so I am going back up this weekend to get some pics. The highlight was when we heard a helicopter but didn't see it. We were looking up and it was below us! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif My son saw it first. He said hey dad look! It's way down there! He was pointing about 1000' below our level line of sight. It was truly an awesome sight! If anyone is interested in a killer daytrip this weekend, let me know. There are lots of cool spots to stop along the river and have lunch, goof off for awhile, Also there are some killer hill climbs and stuff too! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Sounds awesome. I need to find some places in my area, still new around here.

3. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

more capable than say... a 2" lifted 1st gen with 32" tires and open diff's? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Nope, yer rig would make it just fine! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Camping? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

hey Im off saturday!! How far from portland is this?? I'd prolly take my blueblazer since the "Tan Terror" is in a questionable state still...Im gonna be throwing my 14bolt in my blue one tomorrow and have my new 35 SSR's on it /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    (Hopefully I wont need 4x4 tho since the fronts would still be 3.42's /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif....Unless someone wants to help me do my front gears /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I have em but dont have a clue how to put them in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yup! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif You wanna go? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

It will probably take you about 45 min to get to my house. From my house it's approx. another 30 min to the trail head. Once your on trail, it's about a 30 min. drive to the top. Not too far away at all /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You and Shauna interested in coming up? Maybe do an overnight camp trip?You'd prolly be able to pull the hills in 2WD as long as you are easy on the skinny pedal. You'd have some wheel spin, but nothing too bad (I don't think anyway /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) If you got stuck, we can always give you a tug /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. smprider112

If I got stuck I'd use 4x4....but its my diesel so it should be able to creep up stuff pretty good /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif It"ll prolly have to be a day trip for me as I work on sunday /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif but I'd still wanna go!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

cant this weekend, the wife and I are headed to Long Beach Wa... but if you all want to head up that way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif its going to be good times. Drive out on the beach ...

But I was thinking of the weekend after next... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how about mine? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

12. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Cool. I love exploring mountains, too. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. smprider112

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how about mine? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ]

DUDE....if MINE could make it...yers could make it with the D60 axles BUSTED clean off, and one of yer rear axles busted!! just one wheel drive!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

you all want to go camping the weekend of the 11th - 12th? we can cruise up to where Shane was and throw ourselves a little party /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You guys could come camp in my backyard, I have a garage sized pile of stumps covered in blackberries that need to be wheeled upon.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif