Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Took Another Trip TODAY... *Lotta pics, beware dialup folks*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

This morning I woke up in a daze... I couldn't and still can't remember coming home last night... I remember leaving my friend's house after the hot tub partay, and closing the front door... and that's it... Next thing I remember is my phone ringing at 8:30 and waking up with the lights and TV on and all my clothes on... /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

SO, I figured the only way to fix this situation was to spend the afternoon in the woods... I made some pancakes, ate some pancakes, took a shower, got some gas, and hit the road, Jack... The following is an account of my afternoon, with some pics:

I made my way down I-80, which also has construction, so I have no way of getting to Vedauwoo without major construction now /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif... Took the Vedauwoo Road exit, and instead of turning right to go to Vedauwoo, I went left to see the Ames Monument... I'd never seen this monument until today, so I thought I'd check it out... I get there, and it's this big thing in the middle of nowhere... Read the sign, it was built in the 1800's at the highest point of the original railway. Now, the tracks are way the hell north, and apperantly there was a little town near the monument, which is also long gone without a trace. The monument is 60 feet high and made of granite. Named after some rich dudes with the last name Ames, and Abraham Lincoln's face is carved into one of the sides near the top... PIC:
    [​IMG] I'm probably not supposed to park there, and I could've parked in the sun for a better pic, but whatever...

At the edge of the "parking" area of the monument there were some rocks... Since I went out to try out my lift kit and what I could do now that I couldn't before, I drove up one of the rocks... Not the best flexy pic since both front tires are on rocks and the back tires are on a hill... But here are 2 of the 3 pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looking under the truck, I saw I still have a lot more room for my front suspension to move, provided my sway bar doesn't prevent too much movement... The rear, I dunno, but it looked like I still had a lot of room back there too...

After the Ames Monument, I went back to Vedauwoo Road and explored some of the forest service roads... Nothing too bad, but I did throw my truck into 4wd in a couple spots on road 700NA and 700L... 700L was probably the best, there was a lot of mud on the road so now my truck is nice and brown, and at the end it loops along a fence, a nice big stretch of soft dirt with big deep ruts... This would've been a good place to get some pics, but I didn't get out... the bottom of my truck slid on the dirt a couple times, I guess that means I need to go up a few more inches /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Here is Vedauwoo Road, looking South about 1/4 mile South of road 700N:
    [​IMG]
    At the end of 700N, there's another unmarked road... Squeeze between two rocks that yer Blazers might barely fit through, down a huge dip that a stock Explorer probably wouldn't make it down, up a hill, and on the other side of two trees is the perfect camping spot... Nice and flat, completely surrounded by trees, big enough for my tent, a table, the camp stove, and parking for my Explorer... I'm gonna have to remember that spot next time I go camping /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[​IMG]
    That's the view on the west side of that spot I just described... I like pine trees and all, but you just can't go wrong with a nice thick bunch of aspens, which is what surrounds this spot... I have 2 other pictures, but I'll spare y'all the loading time and not post them...

[​IMG]
    This is my attempt at an artsy pretty picture... Also seeing just how good my dad's digital camera really is... Not too bad, I must say... But a pain in the ass to get, since the flower was swaying in the breeze...

That's my road trip... I didn't take any pictures of Laramie, sorry... I just went to Wal Mart and walked around this little carnival thing they had going on downtown then came home... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

I wish someone would make half door thingers for Explorers... Kinda like the Jeeps with the soft doors... The frame that those go on... Yeah, I thing that'd be awesome to have for my Exploder... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Sounds like quite the adventure!
    I like the camping spot /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif