Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

took apart the carb today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by emoo99, May 29, 2005.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

i was having stubmling problems on any sort of angle, hesitation off the line, had my timing set, idle mix set, no vaccum leaks, so i figured it's the floats. took the top half off the carter afb, adjusted the floats down to about 5/8's, and droop about 1.25in. also put some oil cooler line hose in the bowl overflow thing to prevent slosh.. i put a piece of the hose on each side in the channel right next to the bowls.. I'm not really familiar with carbs (never dissasembaled one before) but i think i done good. it's early so i haven't driven it yet to test it out yet so i'm not sure how or if it runs yet.. my questions are, for the overflow in the bowls will trans oil cooler lines be ok? are they rated for fuel or should i use fuel line? also are my float measurements ok? i never found a vent thing so i couldn't run a jumper from one to the other or extend them to the air filter.. i wan't sure what the bowl vent looked like? I'll let you all know how it runs the next few days. :D

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i had a edelbrock unit. i put the spring loaded needles and seats in it. it made a big improvment. and the kit is the same for your carter unit. just a idea to try.

3. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

i have read up on the carter carbs and they already come with spring loaded needles and seats, you think the float level is ok? and the trans oil cooler line?

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

No sweat...

The "tranny" line rubber hose is rated for hot oil,so I'd not worry about gasoline hurting it,its actually better than regular gas line hose.,as far as pressure rating,and fuel and oil resistance..good hose will have "SAE 100R6" written on it..

Its been forever since I adjusted an AFB float--but my Edelbrock performer carb's float setting was 7/16" if I remember right--but though the AFB is similar to a performer,many things are not interchangeable,nor do they use the same settings..I'd say your float adjustment is correct,but you'll have to look up the specs using your carb # to be sure.. :crazy:

5. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

thanks for the reply.. also when i bent the arm to the floats and got it where i wanted it, the float sat slanted, was i supposed to make it level with the carb so it's an even 5/8 all the way across?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not sure..

Usually a carb kit tells you where to measure from when adjusting the float--like at the seam,from the bottom of it,etc..I dont recall on AFB's,my Edelbrock is similar,they said to just use a 7/16" drill under the bottom "toe" end of the float,and to make sure the floats are paralell to the bowl,so they wont rub on it while going up and down..I'd say the AFB should use the same procedure,but I'm not sure if the floats will look "level" all the way across when adjusted right...its been awhile since I had one apart...there must be a websight for AFB's like Edelbrock has with all the instructions and pictures.. :confused: :crazy: