Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Took coloradok5-JR on his first wheeling trip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CK5, Aug 18, 2003.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Meet up with TJ and his Fuggy, we did Left hand canyon for a short/close wheeling trip yesterday to see how Zach would do, also wanted to make sure the new ORD steering was setup, both did very well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    When we went over big rocks Zach was quoted as saying "Weee, big truck" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    One thing I noticed with the back seat in and the kid and all of the stuff you need for family wheeling there was no place for the cooler, I might have to move the spare (upright) and make a cooler rack in the back, but I hate not being able to see out the back, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    We didn't take any pics of the trail just a few at the very end. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Welcome to my world! hahahaa Halling kids while wheeling that is!! Now you know why my spare is still out back! Tooooooo much crap to carry!
    Later and nice looking Family you got going on nowa days!
    Later
    Burt

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

looks like fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif just get that jeep runing and and jr may go to moab /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Very Nice! It is always good when the kids like to wheel. My two love to go for a "ride in daddy's truck" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Cool pics! Where's the Jeep? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

What about a removeable roof-rack for the cooler? Either on top or right of the back top bars...

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

That is a very sweet truck. I'm sure the whole family had a blast!

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Wheeling w/ the family is a blast but its is amazing how much more stuff is "needed". Makes you remember why the K5 was so appeling in the first place. No S-10 bodies, p/u cabs, or buggies for me-I enjoy the family too much.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Lookin' good! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Got an idea for you in order to still have a back view: mount the spare tire on the top of the cage and still put the cooler in the back. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Why not mount the spare on top of the cage when you wheel with the family? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif It will also act as a sun blocker for the little one, just make sure to clean it first so he does not end up with a lap full of dirt. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. CK5

What, no one has anything to say about my Bling Bling chrome mirror. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

cool pics!!

it's always fun when the family comes along for some wheeling..

i know exactly what you are talking about. i've been thinking i ditching the rear bench and using a single seat for my daughter.. that'll give you room for the cooler and some more gear.

12. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

it's a DOT thing we understand /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Kids love bouncing around wheeling. I have had my youngest on a couple short trail rides. Skipped a long one Saturday because it was a commitment to 7 hours of steady trail and was worried about the length. Otherwise no problems with a couple short ones we took her on. My little red head will fry in the sun so I have a Condura Tarp I rig up over the rear of the cage to keep her in the shade as much as possible and let mom and me enjoy the sun. Workes out pretty good. I have been thinking about making a set of aluminum pannels to fit the top of the cage.

14. CK5

He's not quite ready for the Jeep by himself, first few times he didn't want to hold the gas pedal down, then he held it down and would not let it up, he went off the driveway over the grass, then through the small rocks we have and almost ran into the neighbors truck slapping the bumper as he went by, the whole time Mom is chasing him trying to grab the steering wheel, that was worth the price of the battery and then some right there. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I really don't want anything any higher than the cage is right now so would have to do something off the back bars.

15. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I used to run with the cooler or fridge tied down on top of the tire, it limits visability a little but it's easy. You could go to a smaller cooler and put it on one side of the back seat. I wouldn't put the tire on top, that's a heavy chunk trying to tip you over.
    I started putting the kid's seats back in mine this weekend. I wish it was as easy as bolting in the factory seat, but then I'll take the tradeoffs without complaining too bad.

16. Emmettology 101

I was picturing that in my head as I was reading that and laughin out loud!!! That would be funny to actually see! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh and on the mirror, it blends in well with the seat and I didn't notice it until you mentioned it! But NICE! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Another Idea would be leave the spare where its at and make a cooler rack come off the back where the tailgate was with the cooler hangin off. Yes i would be hangin off the back, but it would be out of view for rearward vision and yet may save your butt one day and act as a kickstand! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif You could also make it removeabel with some pins, have the tube work come off the back bumper top tube...

17. CK5

After thinking a bit, I think I will ditch the Bling Wing nut and have a cooler rack built that bolts the tire down. Basicly the cooler rack will replace the wing nut, then I can just bunjie (sp) the cooler down to the rack.

18. Emmettology 101

That sounds cool. But i still have to post my pic if nothing more than for laughs for everyone! I have no CAD skills and this was done with paint to give you an idea of what I meant. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What about replacing the center console with one of those narrow coolers they have? Thye have to be close to the width of the console, maybe a bit taller. I'll see what I can dig up.

BTW, where did you get that swanky mirror anyways? I'm looking for a couple to mount to my tube doors...

I may try and utilize the stock GM mirrors, but I'd like something I can turn in a bit more effectively.

Rene

20. CK5

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW, where did you get that swanky mirror anyways?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Checker auto parts for $9.95 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif