Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Took my swaybar off today....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Nov 6, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What a worthless piece of crap that thing is. Dan and I took it off my truck today and I thought I'd miss it, but personally I think I should put it out in the street for the trash guy and urinate on it.

We'll see how it changes my flex, but it was a free mod with no change in road performance. 45 minute ride home from Dan's house and I didn't feel any increased body roll. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I recommend anyone try removing it and see if you miss it. I am sure I won't.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If your body roll didn't increase.....then you probably shouldn't expect to see much more "flex" offroad either.

Sounds like your springs must be on the stiff side.... ? or maybe your shocks... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have well-worn Superlift 6" springs and Rancho RS 5000's in front.

I may not have noticed any body roll issues cause I don't drive my truck 75 MPH down a twisty off ramp.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The biggest difference I noticed was in backing off of the curb at an angle, the truck took it much better. Rode better overall.

5. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]

I may not have noticed any body roll issues cause I don't drive my truck 75 MPH down a twisty off ramp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone?!!!....... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

maybe Josh.

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

My truck has stock springs and I don't notice any drivability issues without the swaybar.

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i did this on my luv and when im not pretending im a ralley car driver i dont notice its gone at all. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    And for IFS this is a MUST if you expect to do much trail stuff.

8. Greg72

I don't know what the spring rate is where body roll IS an issue.....but I can tell you at 240 lbs/in (my front springs) you NEED a swaybar!

I've had other club members follow me down the twisting roads that lead to the trail head, and they say it's scary to watch my vehicle pitching-and-leaning from turn to turn. These are not high speed banzai runs either, we're talking normal 30 - 35ish MPH driving.

Turning the RS9000s to 4 or 5 will help somewhat.....but roll is roll, so that trick only works for "short duration" maneuvers.... beyond a few seconds in a turn, the shock will still compress and the body will still lean.... it just happens slower.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

maybe Josh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, some people do. Not everyone has sense.

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe Josh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Babyblue... I think though it was more like 85mph with him though... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

i notice my lack of a sway bar if i'm turning onto a street and then i mash the skinny pedal, other than that it does grrrrrrrrrrrreeeaaattttt!!! i drive it through mountain passes and it's okeedokee. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

maybe Josh.

[/ QUOTE ]
    lol i thought you were talkin about me, and i felt special until i kept reading /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif lol /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

One of the guys i work with was behind my 72 and he said every time I took a corner it looked like the truck was going to roll over gut I didnt even notice it. If he would have seen his truck on the road with some one elese at the wheel before and after he would have seen the difrence removing it makes.

14. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I took mine off and man did I give myself a scare. Hit about 70km/hr rally driving then hit the brakes quick /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif body roll from hell. Didn't even notice the slight pull in the brakes till then.

Sure does flex better though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Went quite a few places I never made it b4 I'm leaving it off and just gonna get used to driving it that way

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've always driven my K5 "too fast" and yeah body roll looks scary and is scary to passengers but never scared me. I knew how far I could push it. Won't be doing that stuff anymore, I was stupid for doing it to begin with. bad bushings on the sway bar and one broken mount meant the k5 flexed pretty well but man did it just lean in those corners. No more sway bar for me though.

16. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I have this very concern. I planned on doing the crossover steering while I rebuild my D60. I do a lot of long distance driving out in Nevada to get to my wheeling spots. I'm not thrilled with the idea of babying the rig for hundreds of miles due to a lack of a sway bar. Anybody else in this predicament? Can you do aftermarket or modify the stock one?

17. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Whats the beef with your trash man ?

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I took mine off for doodies and giggles about 5 years ago. All I got was a much better ride on road and mucho increased flex off road, all without noticably more body roll. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif It never went back on after that and I have since given the whole thing away, drop brackets and all.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Whats the beef with your trash man ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you hear about the Chicago trash pickup strike recently? Lazy union bastards they are!!

20. aj_tatted

aj_tatted 1/2 ton status

i think it might be different from suspension to suspension,..when i take mine loose it scare the crap out of me sometimes on the road especially if i'm air'd down.
    i say if you don't like it on,...get disconects. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif