Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Took off my esc computor. Replaced Dist. Works better.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtynails, Sep 4, 2006.

1. dirtynails

dirtynails Registered Member

For the longest time I resisted removeing or disconnecting the computer on my '83. The wireing diagrams were a little confusing. It looked like it might be connected to the transmission and maybe a solinoid for the EGR. But what I had was not the big ECM, but only the earlier ESC. So, what I found was only 7 wires going to the computer from it's wiring harness and 9 on the other end. A ground wire to the fire wall, 4 wires going to the original esc/hei distrubutor (which I have already replaced with a normal HEI), a wire for the spark knock sensor, two wires for the "tip-in vacuum switch", a pink wire that buddied up with the hot pink wire feeding the bat terminal on the dist. And all of that crap is only to work the distributor. I suppose to retard the spark at certain mysterious and unknown times.

So, getting rid of the esc computor is not a big deal. I wish I had done it a long time ago. My truck runs a little better now. If you still have your esc/hei distributor and want to run it with out the computor there is a site that explians how: http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/escrepl.htm

I still don't know where the wire going to the EGR solinoid goes to and why, but it hasn't worked in years and I just got rid of it and moved that part of the harness to the back where I don't have to look at it anymore.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did the same many years ago...chucked the ESC distributor and dropped in an earlier HEI. I spent some time degumming and lubing the mech advance stuff while I was at it and it ran a ton better after.

Rene

3. NJBLZ

NJBLZ 1/2 ton status

I love hearing stories like this, I'm anti compuer control. You'll prolly get better gas milage too.

Just out of curiosity, what color is that egr wire?

4. dirtynails

Well heck, I don't know. It was two wires going to a female socket for the male spades on the sonlinoid thingy. One hot, one ground. The solinoid had a bracket that bolt to the thermostat housing. It was supposed to bleed the vacuum line going to the EGR. Probably a good thing to do, but it hasn't worked in the 14 years I've had this truck. Now the wires are laying in back of the engine where I don't have to look at them.

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't forget your tin hat, or the aliens might get into your head! :haha:

There is no black magic with regards to EFI. My TBI setup gets better milage, and has twice the power that the old carb used to have. If you sit down, and think things through rather than just throwing parts (aka, money) at an EFI system, they are actually really simple to maintain.

6. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Twice the power? The carbed OEM smog engines were pretty weak, but still...

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I don't know about twice either , maybe more efficient , and better at angles and starting cold , but not twice the power .

LO5 TBI motor circa 1987 350 cubes = 210 hp and 300 ft lbs

LE9 carb motor ( non ca ) circa 1981-1986 305 cubes = 160 hp and 235 ft lbs

so it isn't quite double LOL , but if you look at the injected 305 vs the carbed 305 , its a good increase .

LO3 TBI motor 305 circa 1987 cubes = 170hp and 260 ft lbs .

I betcha a good exhaust , ignition , and intake would at least get the carb 305 into TBI power :thumb:

8. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Fine -- Twice the power is a bit of an exaggeration, but there was a noticeable increase in low end torque (as indicated by the seat of the pants feeling / tire roasting), and a much better top end... I imagine it could get even better with some proper chip tuning too :)

9. dirtynails

Well, of course the efi is gonna work good. They didn't invent it fer nothin. Yea you get more power, beter acelleration, automatically adjusts for altitude (which is a big deal where I live) and a bunch of other stuff. And the necessary computers and electronics might even work good. But I think of it as something like comparing a fine old Swiss watch with a cheap modern electronic one. Carbs and mechanical stuff like that are just f***in beautiful.