Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Took PI out for a short ride tonite.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pure Insanity, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I just have to tell of tonites adventure.

I have had PI stored out at my mom and dads house for a while now. Today I drove it around the property some, and when I went to put it back for the nite, I decided to hit the road before putting it away again.

I took it easy for the first half mile then got in it some. (they live on a dirt road..well actually its lime rock) When I hit paved road I let'er rip. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The lite on my tach is burned out so I shifted by ear. (scary thought) I ran it thru 1st hit 2nd and brought it down. I coasted about 1/4 mile beyond where I let out, and turned around.

This time I twisted it good, at 3000 the motor changes tune, so I know where that is. I have pulled it to 6 before shifting, (I have dry fired it to 7200 in the past but never drove it past 6) On my way back I stayed in it and it came alive again what I guessed to be 6500, (it was pulling UNREAL hard!) and shifted to 2nd. I let it down at that point and rode it out to my mom and dads road.

Remember I said they live on a dirt road, well I turned the corner (slowly) dropped it to 1st and stood in it again after I was going straight. At about 40 MPH the big SOB started coming around on me!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Uh Ohhh! I clicked 2nd then 3rd and backed down. (I stayed in it till I had it mostly under control, I knew if I backed down too fast it might try to whip on me.) Scared to death, I took it easy the rest of the way, and parked at the house.

I shut it down after letting it idle for a few seconds to clear out from how I had just run it. I turned the key back to the run position, to power up the tach and hit the recall to see how tight I took it..............7800!! I wish I had stayed it in just a few sec. longer to get above 8. I would never have taken it that tight if I could see the tach. I read the recall w/ my lighter so I could see it.

Now that I think of it....my shift lite never came on. I have it set at 7000. My kids may have seen me mess w/ it and decided to play w/ the switches. I seen it come on when I fired the Blazer up, (the lite flashes and the tach cycles to 10000 the goes to 0) but I dont remember it coming on when I was driving it. Its kinda hard to miss. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

When I go out there tomorrow Im gonna bring my digital camera and take a shot of the tach on recall. I am not sure but I *think* the tach resets after you recall it. I hope not!

BTW I normally wouldnt do something like that anymore, but it just happened. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif The road I was on is over 2 miles long and straight w/ no side roads, and noone lives out there. Still not a real brite idea......... or an excuse.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

SSSSWWWWEEEEEEEEEETTTTT!!!!!

3. Pure Insanity

Makes me glad I didnt sell it!

Also makes me wanna pull the motor and drop it in my Camaro. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

SWEET!!!! at least no motor worries after the tranny hassles... did you throw a manual in that I missed or you shift that th350 like an old three on the tree? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Pretty sad you have to put the lame disclaimer sentences at the bottom for fear of a flame. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. Pure Insanity

Nah, still runnin the auto. Ill be putting in a B&M Mega Shifter in the near future I hope. I still have some probs to iron out, I NEED a 2500 stall in it, (again) its respectable off the line but it comes alive at 3000. The 3.73s may have something to do w/ the poor off the line. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I still want to install an SFI plate, I am not totally sure the plates not cracked. And finally I still need a new carb. Yet another possibility as to why I am not happy off line. It takes off good but it wont break the tires loose like the ole' jeep would. That could also be due to the 2000 pound weight difference. (The Cherokee weighed in at 3012 w/ 40s) Im sure the Blazer is prob closer to 48-5000.

I still have the hydro-boost and the 14 bolt waiting to go in. I need to clone myself and send him to work so I can play. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. CaptCrunch

Man if your truck on 38's only weighs 4800, then I wanna know what Jenny Craig you sent that sucker too cause I always thought these sucker tipped the scales at 5+ stock... then add the weight of those big ole 38's and wheels.

BTW... I would go with a Hurst shifter all the way. IMO anything by B&M is junk. Fit like junk... the ratcheting shifters shift like junk. Just my $.02.

7. Pure Insanity

I was just guessing at the weight. It may be more.

I have always liked the B&M shifters, but never had one. Ill take your word on the Hurst. Do they make a truck shifter?

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I just had my 89 K5 weighed at the dump last weekend. It weighed 5200 lbs with me in it, a spare, and 3/4 tank of gas.

I 'v had mine up around 6K before. I had just done some tuning on it it. And wanted to see what it would do. Scared me when I looked at the tach and the needle was at 6000. Hit second and third.Pegged the spedo and eased on back to town. Still had plenty left after 85 mph where the spedo stops.
    Sometimes you just gotta make some noise !

9. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Only if you had 4.56's or 4.88's. That thing would be a rocket. I remember my gear change, 3.08 to 4.56 with 35's. It was a night and day difference and not only off the line, throughout the powerband. I couldn't imagine what it would do to yours.

10. CaptCrunch

Well remember that is just IMO steve. You gotta understand how our group of racers usually works. If a company screws us or sells us stuff that we feel is crap (which is the 2 B&M shifters and the 3 shift kits we have gotten) we simply don't send our money there again. I'm the lone man out right now till I find a car, but right now there are about 12 of us... each with between 12 and 165 grand in their car /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif ! Add that up and it represents some cash... plus word travels. I had personal experience with the B&M shifter... I bought one that was suppost to be a bolt fit for a 3rd gen f-body (very simple and common application). Not sure what they were smoking when they said no drilling but I had to drill holes, fabricate spacers and brackets, just an all around PIA that really shouldn't have been. Then eve after the nasty install I wouldn't of minded but the action was crap... you really had to fight it to work and the gear identification cable could not be made to work. I wasn't a happy camper. The other shifter went in fine on another vehicle application but he hated the action as well. The ratcheting worked great... just trying to shift into drive or reverse was a beeeatch though.All around really bindy and cheap /forums/images/icons/frown.gif, there is my $.02 worth

11. Pure Insanity

I got some pics of the tach today. (link below) It reads 77-7800. Blow the pic up and you can see the tach is on Recall. I am still wondering why the shift lite didnt come on at 7000 tho. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Mikey, I am checking out the Hurst shifters, I just cant find a truck shifter, like the B&M Mega truck. If they have a tall enuff ratcheting shifter Ill prob go w/ the Hurst from what youve said. Ill have to play w/ my buddies B&M Mega before I make a final decision.

12. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

"Hay is that SSSSteeevvvvvveee!" -LOL-

A body-man shifting by ear, no-wonder you hit 7800.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

the big SOB started coming around on me!! Uh Ohhh! I clicked 2nd then 3rd and backed down. (I stayed in it till I had it mostly under control, I knew if I backed down too fast it might try to whip on me.) Scared to death, I took it easy the rest of the way, and parked at the house.

<hr></blockquote>

Bahh-haha.
    Man, I think we've all been there. The problem is figureing out to stay in it, and getting just enuff throttel.
    I've spun my junk around on the same turn to one of my buddys houses for years, till I took the turn pissed-off and stayed in it. To my amazement It pulled through, and drove it calmy the rest of the way.
    Now, I'm pulling the turn like a pro (yeah-right/forums/images/icons/wink.gif)

There is just something cool about controlled over-steer./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

13. Pure Insanity

LOL!! Whatd ya say Twiz! My ears are still ringing. 40 series Flows and no tail pipes makes for a loud rig. But so sweet sounding.

A controlled over steer is fun, but I was going along straight for about 1/8 mile when it started to come around.

Owning a 2nd gen Camaro is what taught me to stay in it. I felt like a ping pong ball in that too many times till I learned *control*. HEHE! I hate it when the whip around!

The last bad whip I was in ended w/ me bouncing off the roof, the door, and anything else possible in a roll. And NO I wasnt driving! *whispering* Sandi was. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif