Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Took the 6.2 apart.....

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ben427, Nov 2, 2003.

1. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

And found the crank was broken in three places and two webs were broken out of the block, /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I guess I aint gonna rebuild. That 454 sure will work nice in there i bet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

WOW BUMMER
    and yes that 454 will kick az allreight
    all the way from 1 gas station to the next 1 down the road :-)
    I encourdege you 2 think twice before going 454 sellit and go buy a good used diesel again is what i recomend but thats just me
    good luck

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'll second Randy's thoughts...

Rene

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Around here a good used 6.2 is impossible to find, ive been looking for two months. I found one in Ontario for 2800. Found another that was called a "core" engine and the owner said the block is good but the crank is broke, and i wasnt gonna risk it. So i have the 454 , and its half built, with 9:1 speed pro hyper pistons, balanced, fully ported oval port heads and a comp cams extreme 4x4 cam. Should be good for 525 lb ft at around 2500 rpm. So im gonna use it, im not worried about fuel economy cause its a 7000 lb pig on 38s, its just a toy thats get romped on weekends. If i blow it up i may say the hell with it and go the Cummins or Cat route, I think theyd be the only ones that would hold up to me.

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I've got a running 6.2 here that I'll see for $600. It's in a K5; however, I'm gonna keep the axles, suspension, steering column. It's located in Colorado Springs. That might be a bit far to go.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Around here a good used 6.2 is impossible to find

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear it. Around here it seems like a 6.2L core gets the same treatment as a 305 core - junk! Went back to the wrecking yard I used to work at to see if they had any left. They threw them out once the core buyer wouldn't pay a cent for them. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

hmm

I can see the headlines...

Boy switches from big block to small block to 6.2,...thearapy to start next week.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif