Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Took the 74 to the sand drags.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JDNobodi, May 1, 2007.

1. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Long story short, I didn't do too well. Didn't get enough test and tune, broke out on my first and only run, and fighting vapor lock.
    But I got cool photos of me running down the track.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My best time was 5.778 @ 50.02 MPH
    My fastest MPH was 60.73 MPH @ 5.592 in 2wd. (by accident)

2. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Cool.

Is this a popular event where you live? Do Blazers usually do well in this kind of event? I have never been to one before.
    Do you race in 4wd or 2wd?

My rig hasn't done well in the limited amount of sand I have been in.

3. sandracer799

sandracer799 1/2 ton status

Me and my brother both run Blazers in Sand Drags here and they do fairly well. We run 4wd. He runs 4wd High range and I run 4wd Low range, it all depends on your gearing and the way ur truck is set-up.

Here is a pic of me going down the track

[​IMG]

4. Sandrat

Sandrat Registered Member

Where were these races held and how often do they have these events? I am building a blazer for sand racing right now. It should be done in a few months. Here are some pics without the paddles.

http://www.putfile.com/496blaze

5. JDNobodi

We use to have quite few a year at Pismo, but due to Environmental bird hugging bastards bitching and the country refusal to give permits, we only have an event once a year at Thanksgivings. And I'm usually out of town that week.
    The race I was at was at Avenal, Ca. They usually have a couple races a year. The next closest race is in Primm, NV, and some other places in Southern California.
    Blazers don't do as well compare to small block powered jeeps. But there is usually some form of class break. So you should be able to race against an even field.
    We try to race in 4wd. Some of the jeeps and light wight/high horsepower rigs run 2wd. Hell, there are even Top fuel rails that race. Instead, of slicks they have big ass paddles vulcanized to a slick carcass.

6. JDNobodi

Oh $#!7. You're going to be a serious competitor.:crazy: ;) :wink1: We are going to have pretty much the same set up when I'm done. Instead I'm going to have 33x16.5x15 Cepeks when I get around to lifting my Blazer. I'm doing things ass backwards, I started with the motor first, then the drive train, then the suspension.

The races was at Avenal, Ca. But be warned, They are slow. I waited half a day in the hot sun till I got to finally run. They even had to postpone the Pro Mod class till the next morning.