Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tool boxes--FWIW

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wasted wages, Jul 10, 2006.

1. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

This is not meant to become a pissing contest,,,just some information that some may not know about...

I used to own a large Snap on box ( tamale wagon ) and hands down it was one fine toolbox. I left the truck refrigeration field after 12 or so years and the place I lived didn't have enough space for me to store this box. So I stuck a deal and sold it. I kept all of my tools and stuffed them into a POS Craftsman box and have been kicking myself in the ass ever since....

fast forward 12 years,,,I have been exploring replacing the box with one that I used to own, but the 9.5 K it would take is prohibitive,,,do I really need a snap on box ?

I looked at many others, Costco, Sam's Waterloo...I was not wanting to get back into the "tool truck " routine...then I spotted these made by Torin at Northern tool and thought what the hell,,,I'll go take a look.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200321997_200321997

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200321999_200321999

I was impressed. I would not say that they are "snap on quality" but I would put them up beside Snap on or Mac anyday. The fact that the bottom weighs 640 lbs. empty and the top weighs 402 lbs. shows that they are built strong.

They are powder coated black,,have ball bearing drawer slides, the larger drawers have 4 B/B slides,,cylinder locks,
    ball bearing greaseable casters, drawer liners included.

I laid a mic. on the cabinet wall -.058 -- The drawers are the same.

And the best part is,,, the ENTIRE SET cost me $1504.00 out the door....
    Snap on's bottom box is about 4500.00 alone.

So flame away,,,but look at this box if you are seriously thinking about buying a new box. they also have a 41" set..

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's a hell of a lot nicer than the POS that I use.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I just throw my tools on the floor so I can find them easier when I need them.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I keep mine in an old refrigerater, sockets in the crisper drawer, wrenches in the vegetable bin, screw drivers in the freezer section and nuts and bolts in the ice trays...

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you dont like crapman then dont get waterloo. same box just diffrent tag and style. my crapman is stamped waterloo on it neer bottom on sides.

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i got a matco 72" ill sell ya... im tired of it, its a piece of ****... i never should have strayed away from snap-on.... so if anyone wants a toolbox its yours for $3500

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

sell that box and buy a limo...

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Pretty nice. Torin has made good jacks for a long time now.
    Myself the time I buy a box I'm gonna get a Cornwell box. I think their tools kick ass and they make their own tools unlike a lot of the others.

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Matco box's do suck and Mac ain't much better.

10. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yep ive never owned a better box than my old snap-on... too bad i outgrew it before it was paid for... im on track to do the same with my matco now though...

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yep Snap On does rock, but I just don't like their prices. Their name alone cost extra coin. The only other tool that I have ever found that compares is Cornwell, much better product than Matco or Mac.

12. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

Maybe the modern Matco boxes suck, but the set I bought new in the mid 80's is holding up very well. the paint is a little worn, but that's to be expected for it's age. I've only replaced one set of bearing slides in the bottom box in nearly 20 years, and I'm in and out of the box a million times a day.

While at the time I would have rather had a Snap On box, the equivalent to my Matco was $500 more, and Snappy wouldn't finance me at the time while Matco would. Oh well, no regrets on my purchase.