Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tool cabinet, chest, rollaway, box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Sep 6, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How wide is your wheeled tool cabinet, chest, roll-away or whatever you want to call it?

I have my eyes on a 40" wide craftsmen professional w/ ball bearings for 899 for the bottom, and 599 for the top. (canadian prices)

Would this be wide enough? or should I look for one bigger????

here is the link to sears.ca for the set

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/sto...yId=10412&langId=-1&rrc=1&productId=158302984

opinions?

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I'td take you a great while to fill that Steve and if you did , you could alawys get another one, I think that s big enough...

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

comparing that to a Crasftman Professional is like comparing an Aveo to a Corvette. two TOTALLY different classes of toolboxes. the Craftsman Professional line is nearly as good of quality as my Snap On.

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Yeah but for a home shop it does pretty well and is a good budget buy for someone just starting to grow a large tool collection which as I understand is kinda where 84gmcjimmy is. Just don't see the point in paying almost double for a begginer/amatuer box.

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i have a waterloo i bought new in 90', its 48'w x 39'h x 27d 10 drawer, company that makes craftsman makes waterloo. i have a kenedy top box thats a bit smaller. both ball bearing. i out grew them a long time ago, want a snap-on model 1023, it list for 8500.00 :eek1:, dont think i will be gettin it any time soon.

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

8. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Steve,
    If I remember correctly the 53" one is not much more money, Go for more room. Try to catch them on sale too, and use your craftsman card on top of that. I got my 53" set for 1200 out the door a few years ago.

9. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

i have the rat fink lmtd edition ...had a 40" craftsman for about 1 month till i layed eyes on the rat fink one and luckily i orderd it when i saw a preview otherwise i would have not gotten it .. craftsman was a decent box but not strong enough for what i wanted ..i think the craftsman i would have to get another one in 10 years unlike my matco which should last a lifetime

10. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

yeah, the company is Waterloo :wink1:

11. BrianDamage

went out and took some pics of my box....yeah, my box is messy...so's the shop right now :doah:

what I did is the place I used to work, they would let you take your Waterloo box with you when you got laid off or quit if you had been there for a while. Right before I was planning to quit, they stopped that policy.... I had the sheetmetal guys make me up the sideboxes and the chest in the last picture, and I had my waterloo mounted on the roll around. When they changed the policy, I just brought my craftsman from home and stuck in there and then when I quit, I took the whole thing out ;) . I needed those sideboxes at home though. The craftsman bottom, middle and top were all getting full as hell.

The thing the chest is sitting on is some sort of filing cabinet deal that the guy over the phone building gave me. He said either I took it home, or it would be in the building when they tore it down, so I took it. Works pretty good for drills and gloves and stuff . :D

The craftsman box is only 26.5" wide .The whole thing is a little over 6 feet tall. If you get anything, I recommend you for sure get ball bearing slides. That box did me well though, for what I paid for it, and it took me nearly 10 years to finally fill it up.

edit: had to put the pics on my other computer to resize them..they were friggin huge before

box5.jpg

box4.jpg

box3.jpg

box2.jpg

box1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

this sucker?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...pid=009CH016000&subcat=Chest+&+Cabinet+Combos

I wonder if sears.COM will work with sears.COM to ship it to Canada to my sears location here? I wonder what the Canadian price is?

hmmm... it looks different, does it hold more tools, or is it just wider?

13. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

If you are going to over stuff the box with tools make sure you get the ball bearing slides if not the other will be ok. My regular home box from sears that since i went to work for somewhere that furnishes tools has got my 3/4 ratchet set and other wrenches way on up in sizes are hell on that cheeper box. So if you plan on alot of heavy tools get a good one. The one at work now for the stuff i got in it (it is same quality sears i consider home) is about at it's limit too for the slides working. The kennedy i had seemed to be about the same. I am now putting alot in a steel cabinet that pa gave me here at the house. Anything to keep the kids out of it without me knowing. Just have to find the right boxes for what you got.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'm getting ball bearings no matter what. I tested a difference brand of BB and friction slides. And there is a huge difference.

15. BrianDamage

yeah , I wouldn't think any other way. NOt so much for overstuffing your drawers, but like on mine, the bottom 2 drawers are the deepest, so bigger stuff goes there. The bottom drawer is where I keep all my hammers and sheetmetal dollies....it's not crammed full, but all that stuff is heavy.

The waterloos we had at that place I used to work were not ball-bearing drawers, and I got turned off of those REAL quick.

16. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Waterloo makes boxes for Snap-on to.

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'll think about it.
    I dont know if sears.com will ship to sears here in town or not. or if they will even ship to my house. I will email customer support later this week and ask.

18. BrianDamage

yeah I wouldn't be surprised to find out hey make Husky and Kobalt either....wouldn't surprise me a bit.

19. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Waterloo definitely makes Kobalt's big boxes - the drop-ship address for both of them is the same (I looked it up in our system :D ). You can special-order Waterloo's Magnum-series and Traxx-series boxes through Lowe's...

Rumor has it that Waterloo makes everyone's big roll cabs and chests. Don't know if that's completely true or not...

20. BrianDamage

yeah probaly cheaper to get them to make the boxes than it is to invest in the machines and factories to make yourself