Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tool Kits?HELP Me Pick

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by blazd88, Oct 18, 2005.

1. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Dont get too load about it but today is my (shhhhh) birthday and my pops had heard me talking the other day about getting or needing (wanting) a new tool set.I guess he thought i was hinting because for my birthday my room mate bought me a used Snap-On cabinet to go under my Craftsman box. SSL. Mine have had a tendancy to walk away. So we went to Sears and looked and i found a few i liked but the one i choose was out of stock and would have to be ordered. So pops sayed shop around find exactly what you want within reason and let me know.

I like the new Craftsman kits with the slim tear shaped ratchets and pops want me to get the easy view sockets so when he "borrows" them he can read them. The ones we liked were the 290 and 348 piece kits.
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...OL&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=00934348000
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...OL&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=00934290000

so what do you think? what else would you like in your box? anyone have any of these and have any likes or dislikes?

2. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

You cant go wrong with Craftsman hand tools! I wish I had a big set of matching Craftsman tools.
    A set of digital calipers is on my X-mas list. Not something you'd use everyday, but man are they handy when you do need 'em. Along with a set of those ratcheting wrenches. Just a couple ideas...

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I got a mailer from Craftsman the other day where you can buy some tools and they will etch you name into them. Just a thought.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: SICK!!!

Any one of those would be great. I have a 180 piece that I've done several motors with and they still serve me to this day, 10 years now. You may have to get some larger deep sockets and maybe some bigger wrenches (at least with mine) to make it absolutely complete, but I always made it out.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Crapstman??

I USED to like my craftsman tools--rarely bought any other brand!..but I hate their ratchets now--they SUCK!..you couldn't GIVE me one now..in fact,I'm going to try and see if Home Depot will trade my defective craftsman ones for a "Husky" one--.I like Craftsman sockets and screwdrivers,and box/open end wrenches,but those newer ratchets are pure china crap compared to the ones I bought in the 70's and 80's(which only finally wore out a few years ago,after 25 years of abuse!)..

I think I read a sign saying they have a lifetime gaurantee just like Sears(who now wants to give you a "rebuilt" one rather than new :mad: ),and they would trade a Sears tool for a Husky brand one..might have just been a limited time promo deal,not sure..I've used some Husky tools,they aren't Snap -On,but I like them better than Sears ratchets..I think Ratcheting Box Wrenches are my next investment in tools..I also like the Craftsman "Bolt Out" sockets that remove bolts with stripped heads!--they work slick!..(got mine from my brother for christmas..) :crazy:

7. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

hey dontoe - looks like a snap-on tool to me :D