Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tool payments... haha...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Sep 9, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165220

I just searched back for something and stumbled on that thread. Funny to see how 6 months changes things...

haha, I'm carrying a little over $500 account with Matco right now, and $25 with Mac. $.10 with the Snap On guy... The new Snap On guy said "oh just pay it the next time you get something from me... Yeah I guess he doesn't realize there are 2 Snap On tools in my entire box. Wonder when the time comes hes gonna get fed up and demand his $.10. Whenever it happens I'm going to tell him I'll get him next week :haha: Matco guy treats me way too good to buy from either of the others. But yeah, I need to get my accounts down.

2. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I still owe AT&T $0.03 from like 5 years ago. I let it go to collection. They are serious, they want that money. I'm a bad man.

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Nice.

4. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

I can remember when I had a $100 a week tool payment. That sucked!

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I've been paying $100 a week on the Matco one for like 4 weeks.... Thats the scary part. It hasn't gone above $500 yet... but it has rarely made it below. I need to just let it chill out and hopefully zero out soon.

6. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

I ran mine that way for almost 7 years straight.

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Funny, I was talking to My Boss today. He was a Snap On dealer for about 15 years. We were talking tools and what not and about Stanley owning both Proto and Mac. He said that Stanley buys blanks from China and then gives a different level of plating on each one depending on whether it will be sold as a Stanley Proto or a Mac tool. I can't say if that is true or not cause I have never compared the three side by side since Stanley bought out the other two company's.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no idea. I only buy random things from the Mac guy when he actually has good deals. Don't like him or Mac tools much. I bought like 20 pairs of plyers from him a few weeks ago. Mine have been slowly disappearing(don't know if I've left them someplace or what since they are the only things that disappear) so I bought it. Was only $100, which I doubt you could buy all of them from Craftsman for that...

That and my 3/8" impact is a Mac, but thats just an Ingersoll-Rand in Mac clothes. I love that thing.

One guy that worked with us for a little bit would always give me **** when I bought stuff from Matco. "Dude thats $30 at Sears" "Dude you could get that for $50 at Sears".... My response? "Dude I don't have $50 to spend this second, do you??? Payments man..."

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I bought My 1/2 drive Mac impact in 88 and it still works to this day. It does need to be rebuilt, but all in all it got a lot of use. My Cornwell (IR)1/2 drive is a kick ass gun.

10. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

you went to wyotech sled dog? Or was it spongeidys ?

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

12. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I had a meltdown at work several weeks ago when I found one of my tools on another guy's cart. It was'nt a very pretty site. As much as I di'nt want to I purchased an engraver and initialed the bigger tools, tools that I've had for 15 years.

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Thats because its so hard to just buy it outright, when they so convinently let you pay little by little, which to me gets old writing a check every freaking week. I hate the weekly payment crap, my dealer was cool, so I jsut payed him once a month. I've been pretty good. At first I had a big bill with my Snap On dealer. I had a few hundred left so I said, screw this, payed him off and now I either buy it on ebay brand new for 1/3 of the price, of if its something small, just buy it outright form him. Plus the fact I have to save for a wedding helps me to not spend hundreds a month, I have just been making due with what I have.

14. 68MUDSTUD

sweet. you think it was worth it?

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'm not a big fan of my Snap On dealer either. something about spending $6K with him in '05, and then when i need something big in '06 (after moving from my service position, still within the company just on the production end of things) he pretty much ignored me, acted like he didnt even know who i was. his stuff is way overpriced anyways, but he was the only one who had a pneumatic grease gun that met the criteria i was looking for.

my Mac guy is actually the best out of all of them. he'll deal with you on anything, and if he doesnt have it, 99% of the time he'll have it to you by the end of the day.

the Matco guy acts like you're bothering him just by walking on the truck.

16. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My Mac guy is awesome... Carries alot of stuff besides Mac.. Kent Moore, etc... Funny how I rarely buy Mac from him, mostly the other brands... Tho there are a few things MAC sells that the others don't that I've bought...

My Snap On guy is ok, not great, but ok.... He treats me good cuz I spent big with him in the past.. But he certainly doesn't make deals like my Mac guy, your lucky if he'll drop $10, 20 off something...

Never had a Matco guy, ever.. Occasionally I'll see a truck around, but I've never had one at any of my jobs in over 20 yrs...

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just spent about $1200 on tools. CSPS 41" stainless roll away and a fair amount of John Deere brand tools.

100_0335.jpg

100_0336.jpg

100_0340.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  18. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No buying for me for awhile... I already own a ton, every hand and air tool known to man... Still paying off a little from Snappy...

My next purchases will be a new welder and bender, not till the spring tho...

19. 68MUDSTUD

im plannin on getting all the snap on tools i can while im at wyotech... its ALL hlaf price for students...

20. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wrenched for 13 years before I started running tire store. I stopped wrenchin 10 years ago. I still buy tools and carry a snap on account. after turning a wrench for that long you know a quality tool when it is in your hand. You just can not beat Strapon tools. they really are the best when it comes to quality. everytime I get under 100$ I look for somethin new to buy.

I got an alarm and extra insurance on my house to cover the tools and 30,000$ in bicycyles in the garage. they could have everything in the house fo all I care, just dont mess with my garage.