Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tool Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

gonna have custom axle shafts made, the guy on the phone said to " mic" the stock ones to make sure they make the right size. by mic he means micrometer right? is this the same as a dial caliper?

2. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

No, a dial caliper will accomplish the same thing, but a micrometer is a c-shaped tool that is more accurate for reading diameters, though they take practice to get good at reading them. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ok thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not sure exactly what your plans are, but what kind of axle manufacturer doesn't know stock axle diameters???

I mean if it's Moser, I guess thats just the way things are. But I'd certainly hope a company in that business would have enough experience/smarts to know stock diameter, or get it themselves, and not rely on someone who doesn't even know what "mic'ing" something is! (No offense on your capabilities, only that a company shouldn't expect a customer to be "smart enough" to give them a critical dimension like that, when it SHOULD be their job to know this) Again, just my opinion, but that would be like a machine shop asking me what diameter I wanted my cylinders bored so that my 4.030" pistons would fit.

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ya it is moser, the guy on the phone said it could be either one number or the other, and to be 100 percent sure they wanted me to mic it.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I *guess* I can kind of see it, although I think your '89 is 30 spline axles unless they have been swapped (hence their question) or if a 12 bolt or other axle has been swapped in. But verifying its a 10 bolt and counting axle splines isn't tough.

Unless of course I'm mistaken, and 10 bolt axleshafts changed diameter in either the spline area or the bearing area, the only places that would matter.

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Unless of course I'm mistaken, and 10 bolt axleshafts changed diameter in either the spline area or the bearing area, the only places that would matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
    thats right, he said there are two different dia. at the bearing surface. ya dont want to guess when making custom shafts.