Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TOOL QUESTION?! Electric impacts....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Aug 4, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm sure some people are totally against them but I used one Saturday and took out manifold bolts on a 454 like pulling a hot knife out of butter! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

It was this impact from Sears
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00927997000
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think? I might run over and buy this one this weekend. I like my old air tools but for a couple quick bolts here or there this would be sweet. If I dont end up buying it this weekend I'm going to burrow the one I used Saturday and try pulling another 14bolt apart /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive used that exact same one. its had some kick but not as much as my IR. it worked hard to take the lug nuts off the trucks and trailers we had at work. broke quite a few sockets with it though(non impact,boss was too cheap).

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My brother has a prehistoric Millers Falls electric impact that works very good--its downside is it weighs about 15 lbs! It has taken off some bolts that his C-R 1/2 inch air impact wouldnt.I have seen some really cheesy 12V impacts at the "bargain outlet" type stores around here--they are junk,wouldnt even take a lug nut off without loosening it with a lug wrench first--and the"high impact housing" cracked in 3 peices after the third tire!--so I brought back the shrapnel and got my 19.99 back.The store manager said I was about the 20th person to bring one back,so he was going to pull them off the shelf!. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    My brother works on 18 wheelers--one day a friend who worked at a shipyard that closed offered me a 1 inch drive air impact with a planetary gear drive,he found it in the dumpster!(I guess they threw a lot of good stuff away)and one day my brother called,said he couldnt get the lugs off one truck,so I gave him the impact gun--It has 3 foot pipe handles on it--it lifted him right off the ground,and twisted those lugs right off flush with the drum before you could say"ouch"!.We named that gun "Bam Bam!". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We named that gun "Bam Bam!". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

I've used it before, worked fine for me

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Manning a desert race pit a couple weekends ago we had a Milwaukee Cordless (more than 18 volt I think) that the dad of one of the other guys sent with him. That thing zipped lug nuts right loose and the battery stayed with us the whole day. Granted we only to change 4 tires.
    Sure beat doing it the Armstrong way in the hot sun.

7. geg

geg Newbie

working at a junkyard we get to use cordless impacts all day long..I have a 3/8" dewalt thats 12vs..Works pretty good but its about as strong as my hd ingersol 3/8 air ratchet..It works great on pulling starters and ac compressors sheet metal and the ocasional motor mount on a front drive car..3/4 ton van lug nuts give it a hard time..probally gonna step up to a 1/2 drive unit soon..

Funny thing is that the unit sounds like its gonna shatter when its working hard

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

While going through a bunch of new tools I bought in a big barrel at an auction when a hardware store went belly up,I found an Impact thing that converts your 3/8 electric drill into an impact wrench,made by vermont american tool--its still in the shrink wrap package,has a 3/8 drive for 3/8 sockets--the package says it will make 115 ft lbs of tourque,shows a guy taking lug nuts off with it--but I'm skeptical about that-- /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.I have been tempted to try it someday--it might be useful at the boneyard with a cordless drill,but I dont have one! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif