Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tool Question:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jul 11, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, here it is, I need these three tools, and I'll tell you why:

Sawzall-I need it because they are a must for everyone off roader, and when I do get ready to cut my fenders etc, i can give the ol' grinders a break

7.25 circular saw- I need a small circular saw to learn on before I jump up to my dads 8 circular saw.

1/2 or 3/4hammer drill- my dads black and decker one is almost burnt out.

Heere is your poll:
    And once again, your not alowwed to be nekkid, eating cheetos, or sitting on a beanbag!

I can get either one of these tools for my birthday, but I need to pay for half.

And when you chose one on the poll, tell me why you would chose that.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Circular saw is useless for building trucks.

Big drill would be nice but I don't have one yet.

Sawzall is a must!!

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I say the Sawzall. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif Like the name implies, you can use it for a lot of things. Since you are getting help with purchase price, get a good one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The sawzall can be used for many different things. Here is another theory for you to ponder though, buy the most expensive one first since you only have to pay half of the price then you can buy the others items later at full price, this just saves you some money is all. If you need the sawzall first i would definately get it.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The sawzall would be a miluakee (sp?) and it costs 190.00 canadian here.

At home hardware they have an orbital one that looks neet, but its almost 400 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

It doesn't matter what I get first, eventually I will have all 3 of those tools, because like I said, I need them.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I should have re phrased that, my mom is paying 100 bucks max. since our budget is minimum. So whatever I get, I will end up paying either the lower price, or higher price.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ok, you're basically getting a $100.00 discount so to speak. Get the sawzall first since it can be used for many different things like everyone has said. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have never owned a sawzall but they are cheap
    a circular saw with a metal abrasive blade can do a lot of damage
    a good 1/2" variable speed reversible drill is extremely handy but $$

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The cicurlar saw is just 90$ and is "Skil Saw" brand. Just something cheap, because after a few weeks of using that, I will hardly use it.

I will probably just get the sawzall, I've been wanting one for EVER /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I just need to check if this one has the quick release blade mechainisom.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The circular saw will be used for cutting plywood, 2/4's, etc. for building fences, and whatever else I need. Before I was using one of those jigsaw cutter's (I don't know the real name, you can cut circles with them and all. They have a small blade, maybe 4 inches long.) /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

KMS tools here has them on sale for $125 + tax I think
    I can send it to you on a Greyhound if you want help getting one
    no sense paying full retail when there is a discounter on the coast

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

sawz all used it on your truck and any thing elce, 2x4s or you can put jigsaw blades and do small stuff with if ya want, dont worry and jump on that 8: circular saw you wont have any problems, just watch you finger, (guy i know just got the tip of his thumb on a chop saw /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif)

and what do ya want with a 3/4 inch hammerdrill?

and the orbatal sawzall from millwalky (supersawzall) is the only one we use at wrok Mine got stolen /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    it is a lot more powerfull the the reguler one has a speed aguster, and ajustable gard.

i will only buy quality, my boss is like that his brother is not, he gave me his old hammer drill because we were doing a big job and he got a new one HE HAS BEEN USEING IT FOR 35 YEARS!!!!!!!

his brother has a box i have seen it it has no less then 30 3/8th craftsmen drills hey only 29.95 they are all burned out!!!! the drill i got still is great, dosent hammer as much needs a 15 doller spline. if ya buy quality you can use it for ever!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I wanted the 3/4 chuck so I could go up to a larger drill bit if I ever needed too.

I am a little leary using the 8 inch circular saw. It's heavy-so I am not using to that, and the power it has /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Yeah, I will only buy quality too, thats why I am getting a miluakee (sp? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif) instead of a cheap one.

Yeah, my dads black and decker hammer drill must be quite a few years old too. We use it any time we need to drill something. It has never failed. Just recently (about 6 months) he said it is starting to burn out. So he bought a miluakee 1/2 inch drill (just drill, not hammer) to use all the time, then when we need the extra umph we would use the hammer drill.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

m j, how much would it cost for the grey hound? Where exactly are you in Canada? I may think about this /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

oh I was wrong
    the Dewalt is $129.99 and the Milwakee is $179

[​IMG]

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oh okay. Thanks okay. I will just probably buy it here then. Thanks for the offer though /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Circular Saw:
    Try a garage sale.... everybody's got one. New off-brands are cheap too. Abrasive blade goes a long ways. My buddy made his '77 Lincoln into a convertible this way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Hammer Drill:
    For what? Concrete? Make sure its an SDS type that takes the quick-connect bits. The entry-level jacob's chuck hammer drills are for popping holes in stucco /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif If you're just after a plain old 1/2" cord drill, better get this *and* the circular saw. The two most basic power tools IMO.

Sawzall:
    Nice tool, but it's a "pinch hitter" for me. Don't need it very often, but it sure is handy when you do. (For this reason you can usually get by with a really cheap one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

19. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

May I suggest an alternative? 4.5 or 5" angle grinder is the "do all" work horse of the shop. Frankly, it's the tool I use the most. Cutting wheel, grinding wheel, and wire brush cover most jobs.

Not sure why you want a hammer drill, but if you have access to your father's, that can wait. But if it has to come from your list, this would be #1 IMO. At least it's a tool you can keep and it will prove useful in many ways over the years.

As someone else said, the recip saw is VERY handy for some things. But mine spends most of it's time in it's nice little case under the cabinet. Still, it's pretty flexible and can sometimes fill in for other tools when needed. This would be a close #2 IMO.

Saw to "learn" on? Not much to learn, and no reason not to start with the 8". Also pretty much useless on a truck except with abrasive wheel which will not be kind to the saw. Skip this one...

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Russ,
    I already have a 4.5, 5.0, and 7.0 inch grinders. I think thats enough for now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am probably just going to get the sawzall.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif