Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tool Reviews?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Jan 5, 2004.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I was thinking that some of us tool guys can start doing reviews for the site. Anyone else think this is a good idea? How about a tool forum too? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Maybe I can be the masterb...I mean moderator?! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was thinking the exact same thing this week. A tool forum would be pretty cool.

Any special tools needed for a certain project could be discussed, the quality of whatever tool we choose, etc.

I was looking into buying an air ratchet a couple weeks ago so I asked a few members on my AIM list and saw their response, but a tool forum for tool nuts like me would be great!!

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Yeah, special tools, or just general reviews. That way if you buy a wrench, and it's junk, you can share this, and then others will avoid buying it too.

Oh, and I have a Campbell Hausfeld air rachet. It's nothing to write home about, but it works good. It's better then some I looked at to say the least, and it's not close to the best, which was scary. But I think I got it on sale for like $39 plus tax.

http://www.chpower.com/indexf.asp?/catalog/cdetail_unit.asp?itemid=301696

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Well, speaking of tools... I found out today that paint guns that have a separate container, like this one: Paint cannister (gun not shown)

which is absolutely necessary for painting the interior roof of your truck (if you aren't rattlecanning it)aren't made anymore by the major gun manufacturers. It is obsolete because no cars have painted roofs anymore.

So this gun is a good thing to have. However, the Harbor Freight gun (now on sale for $49.95) does not list the size of the fluid nozzle anywhere - not on the gun, the instructions nor in anyone's head at HF, which is important to know if the paint specs a 1.3-1.6 nozzle, like my paint does.

I took the gun to an auto paint supply place I trust and they told me that it's probably a 1.0 fluid nozzle, so the 1 stage color I have will need to be reduced (2 parts paint to 1 part catalyst and 1 part reducer), but it should work.

BTW, I wouldn't do bodywork and paint again. I'd pay some demented body/paint guy to deal with the BS that comes with this type of work on this old of a POS truck. Hmmm, and I haven't even started painting yet. i'm just finishing prep. I should be all warm and fuzzy by the time I'm mid painting.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hey skigirl

not sure who told you that, but pressure pots are still readily available and used for alot more than painting interior roofs. btw, a regular dripfree gun can be used for this. just have to watch paint level and spray at a slight angle... tho a pot makes it much simpler..

i own a 5 gal, 3 gal and 2 qrt myself and they are invaluable for larger jobs. just be aware they put out alot more material and spray different then a syphon fed gun..

heres a link to ones on ebay

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&ht=1&query=pressure+pot

hope that helps /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

oh, and a tool forum would rock....

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

The guy at the auto paint supply store told me that they were obsolete. Thanks for the correct info! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. ryoken

no prob /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

any body/paint ?'s, just ask...

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

California has different rules for body shops than other states have. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif They are MUCH more strict on what kind of equipment can be used, types of paint booths and filter equipment required, etc. So it's possible that those guns aren't allowed to be sold in California any longer. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

I agree, that sounds like a pretty good idea. There are some jobs that require specific tools, and it could help prevent someone like me from breaking parts or tools. I would use it, good idea! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

so has anyone seen the AC Delco toolsets at walmart? (i know, walmart tools, not a good idea). i wouldnt think delco would put their name on crap /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I like the idea of a tools forum. Not just $$$$ welders and benders though. I'd like to see other stuff. I just hope it doesn't get full of Snap-on vs. Craftsman posts.

I've seen AC Delco tools at O'Reily auto part stores around here. Never used them.

I bought a 6 point 1/2" drive socket set from wally world. Popular Mechanics brand name. Its the set I keep in the truck for repairs and junkyard duty. They have held up fine so far.

12. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i bought a 19.99 olympia 6 point half inch drive ratchet and socket set at northern, lifetime guaranteed, and i havent had to use the warranty yet..and i use the sockets regularly on my IR2131 impact..

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

this was brought up about a year ago by myself and a few others, at the time steve didnt go for it. he may now....
    Grant

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

TTT

I bought this a couple weeks ago and have only found one both that could stop it yet:
    [​IMG]

On the air ratchet deal that someone posted to me on the CH one...I won an IR one on ebay real cheap, got it here, it's made in Japan. I want one that is made in the USA if possible. I'm going to continue to search until I find one.

In all honesty Steph, the CH is not something I'd consider. I have used their tools in the past, and with my tendancy to abuse stuff, and my thing for always wanting the best quality tools that I can afford, I'm looking for something significantly nicer than they make. In other words, I want the best one on the market that is made in the USA, unless that is unavailable, in which case I want the highest quality tool I can get.

15. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so has anyone seen the AC Delco toolsets at walmart? (i know, walmart tools, not a good idea). i wouldnt think delco would put their name on crap /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a 150+ piece set for the truck in a box on clearence for $45 they look like nice tools... heavy fully chromed, has a very small gear in the wratchet (much smaller that a craftsmen more like my snapons for the gear). Kit had all kinds of things.
    big pic of this pic
    [​IMG]

they had a hole stack waist high a week ago, I'm going back tomorrow to see if they marked them down anymore, I want another set, one for each blazer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

ad delco box kit
    pic of tools out of plastic

16. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this is a second post but I got a good one!
    These acdelco tools didn't have any of THESE and its a craftsmen! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this is a second post but I got a good one!
    These acdelco tools didn't have any of THESE and its a craftsmen! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hhehehehe That's for them Cross eyed Metric screws.

How the heck does something like that make it past QC? I bet that made a LOT of racket when it ran throught the machine.

EBay it...probably sell it for a Lot.

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Tim, I don't think IR makes any air ratchets in the US. Most of the company owned air tools where I work are IR. The execption is air ratchets, they are Snap-On. This is because we have a department that repairs tools on site and they do not repair any forign tools, even if they are company owned. FWIW my 1/4" drive IR model 103 (Japan) has held up, but it is not as nice as the S-O model FAR25s that work owns. It is, however, about $200 cheaper. The IR also has a steel head, while the S-O is all aluminum and can crack if dropped from 25 feet onto concret.

19. ryoken

hey tim

my 3/8 air ratchet is a nearly 20 yr old Mac and has been flawless. one of the more consitent tools i've owned. my 1/4 is a Snap On and very nice. but i wanted to put in a word for that Mac, was just telling one of our mechanics the other day how impressed i was with the tool...

20. jjlaughner

All of our air tools are blue point 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4". All about 25-30 years old. When my dad worked at John Deere they had to buy all their own tools, so he bought from the snapon guy a couple tools each week. He worked there about 10 years. We have a pretty good amount of tools now. All John Deere wrenches, Mac tool boxes and hand tools, most of the air tools are blue point and the other half of the hand tools and sockets taps and dies and punches are also Blue Point or SnapOn. Even though I have two craftsmen tool sets I still use his stuff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    He moved from John Deere to Caterpillar a few years after I was born, well last year he got his 20 year pin with Cat. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So the tools I use are at least 22years old and still work great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif