Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

toolbox/gas tank combo

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Apr 4, 2007.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got a longbed diesel k30 with a single 16gal tank:mad: and want more fuel capacity. i thought about running a stock style twin saddle tank setup (the truck already has the hardlines plumbed on the frame) but chris (big94gmc) mentioned something about tool boxes that have a built in gas tank below them and can hook right up to your existing gas tank. i would love to have something like this, since i plan to get a tool box anyways. anybody have experience with these? thanks

something like this:
    http://www.nextag.com/Randomsoft-Auxiliary-Fuel-tank-515888136/prices-html here are the dimesnsions:
    Box Length is 50in.
    Tank Length is 50in.
    Box Height is 6 1/4in.
    Tank Height is 12 3/4in.

i want one that is the size of a normal size tool box on top and maybe a 50gal tank underneath. the ones im finding are only 19" tall total which is only about 6" of actual tool box. i cant put anything in a 6" box:mad:

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

What I see most common with pickups that pack both a toolbox and tank is a tall skinny crossbed tank that goes right against the bulkhead with a standard toolbox behind it.

You can also put a K5 or Burb tank under the rear. That's what I did on my 1-ton.

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Also be aware that most of them are transfer tanks only. Not DOT certified to be plumbed directly into your fuel lines. (I.E. don't get caught doing it.)

Why not install a 40 gal burb tank?

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Agreed. Thats what I did. And even with my thirsty stroker I can wheel for 2 (probably 3 if I was ballzy) solid days without filling it

5. muddybuddy

the ones im looking at are DOT certified. if i didnt get one of these, i would likely use a driverside saddle tank and hook it up that way, but id really rather have 50+ total gallons. at home diesel is over $3.00 a gallon, and at school diesel is only $2.45, so its a significant difference. having 70gallons total (50 aux + normal single tank) would currently bring a savings of $38 per fill up, which isnt pocket change. as the price goes up, it would net an even greater savings.

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

DOT certified to be used as a transfer tank or plumbed in as an auxillary tank?

Just make sure before you buy.. I don't want you to get burned on the deal thats all.

John

7. muddybuddy

ill have to check that out;) id hate to get screwed like that as well.looks like i cant find the kind i want that has a big tool box in addition to a 45+ gal tank. my best bet might be a 45+ gal stand alone tank and then put a standard tool box behind it. im still a couple months away from seriously lookin into doing this, but i wanted to start investigating this now

8. Supreme70

Supreme70 1/2 ton status

I built my own gas tank tool box for my short bed step side. I have seen some at tractor supply company but they all say they are fuel transfer box's not gas tanks, just thought you should know.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  9. muddybuddy

yea i know tractor supply has them, i was thinkin about those. what prevents them from being approved by DOT for plumbing into tank? since u made yours, how are you able to get away with it?

the more i think about it, id really rather just have the primary tank in the bed, so i can get rid of the big saddle tank (danger to rocks and trees) and then i could run 64's. if i could get a 60gal tank for the bed and have it my primary tank and have it DOT approved that would be sweet. how can you get in trouble if its not approved for direct plumbing?

10. Bustah

Bustah Registered Member

I have seen these tanks at Northern Tool. You could always just use it a a transfer tank and just fill your truck tank. You wouldn't have the convenience of having it hard plumbed but you wouldn't have to worry about being breaking laws. I had a budy tha built his own tool box and had my dad make a fiberglass fuel tank and had it plumbed thru his filler tube. He also had a small elec pump hidden with a switch in the cab so he could fill up at a flick of a switch. If you want I can get pics for you. You can't really tell that the tank is there but if you measure on the outside of the tool box top to bottom and the inside you get a 6 inch differance.

11. muddybuddy

if you could get pics that would be great.

12. MojaveK5

MojaveK5 1/2 ton status

I would love to see pics of this also. I was looking into a toolbox/gas tank for my 1977 K5. I want to get more range. not sure if I can get one in california.
    anyone know?
    I like this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

14. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    bringing a thread back from the dead but it's okay because I'm looking into this already. I'm going to run the 40 gallon fuel tank/toolbox combo from Transfer Flow on my '06 Duramax :D

15. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

Damn just noticed how old it was :doah:

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Weatherguard had ones I was looking at for my diesel. One was a 60 gal and the other was a 90gal or something.

I don't know exactly how it works with the DOT approval. I think you MAY be able to plumb the transfer tank to fill your stock tank and be ok. I know you can not directly feed the motor from a most of the transfer tanks though.

Harley

17. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    I think transfer flow is DOT legal...yea I like the weatherguard stuff too, but I'd prefer to have a combo so it won't interfere with my gooseneck.

Hey Hoss, you still an Amsoil dealer? Shoot me a PM...looking for some amsoil stuff. thanks.