Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Toolbox in the back?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TONYP, Nov 19, 2002.

1. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

What do you have in the back of your K5? I like the Tuffy tool box for the je*p but it’s to small for a K5. Want to get some ideals for a tool box. Send me your pic’s… /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i was thinking of building something like that but on a larger basis for a k5.i also got ahold of a truck box(you know the ones that sit on top of the bedrails but also locks)that i thought about cutting down on width and rewelding it together so it will fit inside my wheelwells.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

a craftsman intermediate or top chest. i think the 40 inch wide ones fit nicely.
    or maybe its the 36 inchers...
    Grant

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I put an 80s Nissan extra cab (ya know the odd ball looking shorty beds) box in PI last week to carry tools for the run I went on this past weekend. Its right behind the front seats, where the back seat was. The way it was cut for the wheel house for the odd bed length worked out perfect. It spanned from side to side great, (like w/in 4" of each side) and the wheel house notches allowed the box to be moved far enuff rearward that I was able to run the seats all the way back where it normally is.

Ill be unloading the stuff out of the Blazer this week and Ill try to remember to snap a few pics of how it fit in there.

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Here is an idea maybe you haven't thought of. I used to work for a truck equipment supplier and we sold those underbed or under the trailer toolboxes. They come in a variety of sizes (can even have them custom built to your size) and are weather tight. Also they are made of real heavy gauge material, so they can stand up to alot of abuse.

I think Grim-Reaper used one in the back of his /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif, but not sure. There are several different manufactures of these boxes, you will just have to go to your local heavy truck equipment dealer and take a look at what they have too offer. Just my .02 worth /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I don't have a pic of it but, Craftsman and Northern Tool ( I think) Have tool box that fits in front of the wheel well ( from the Back of the K5) the one from Sears has a 5 drawer with a lock the box bolts down to the bed and will fit ether side. Thats what I want, what I have is a tool bag that I can't find a Damn thing unless I take out most of whats in there.
    For the rest like Tow straps extra oil and such I have a rubbermaid box about a small I think.

Eric

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

the back of a suburban is the same size as the back of a k5, or maybe it's bigger i dunno. i just built a box for my sub. it's flat so i can put stuff in the back and still get to my tools. it's in the misc album in my webshots.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Underbed box normaly hanging on the side of trucks. Water proof, dust proof, lockable. 48 wide 18 tall 20 deep. Leave a little room behind the back seats. Bolted to the floor on bushings so it doesn't tear the floor when the body flexes.
    http://www.deltastorage.com/delta_new_truck_products.html
    [​IMG]

9. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

My idea building a steel box that bolts to the truck on bushings but is removable for New York winter driving a grocery go getter in a snow storm.

10. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    Got this from Sears, but Farm and Fleet sells them too. Has two rails that get screwed or bolted to the floor, then inside the box are 4 quick disconnects so the box can be easily removed without unbolting.

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

want to find one like this taht has drawers and the rack on top...

[​IMG]

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Using a medical supply box. There's a deck that covers the stuff in back.
    [​IMG]