Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Toolboxes....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84blazin, May 23, 2006.

1. 84blazin

84blazin 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

To prove how tough their tool boxe's are, Snap-On Tools placed a dump truck on top of them.

Each tool box is rated at 4,800 lbs, but after testing, Snap-On found that they actualy will hold up to 8,000 lbs.

The dump truck weighs in at 20,960 lbs. Divided up as 9,000 lbs on the front axel, and 11,960 lbs on the rears.

The tool boxes are the Master series KRLI1022

When all was said and done. the boxes supported the truck, and the drawers opened perfectly, and no damage to the boxes, (not even the paint)

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Seen that DVD about 'em...too bad they roll around like tanks compared to the Matco boxes.

3. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Toolbox...:haha: :haha: :haha: beat ya'll to it! ha,ha!

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya, but are they magnetic?

5. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ive got the DVD about it, and ive got a poster of that image up on the wall in my room.

im selling my matco to get a snap-on KRL-7023.. i used to have a snap-on and i outgrew it, and after having owned a matco i'd much rather have another snap-on.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

:thinking: seems a little light to me.

8. 89GMCSuburban

You are also comparing a Matco 4735 to a Snap-On KRL...maybe it's just me, but they aren't in the same league. The Snap-on is deeper, wider, has more of a weight rating and better slides. Now....get a Matco 9535 and compare it...ooooooh yeah......it will be mine...oh yes...it will be mine.

9. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Bought mine at Costco. :whistle:

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

two words... Mr. Big. :deal:

KRL7065

11. 89GMCSuburban

You forgot the obligatory pic! [​IMG]

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Features:
    • Extended Cab System provides eight extra-wide drawers for extra storage capabilities.
    • Extra-wide drawers feature four bottom stiffeners to support a full load of tools without sagging.
    • LOCK'N ROLL® System prevents drawers from drifting open during unit movement.
    • 2" inch mounting centers provide maximum drawer arrangement flexibility.
    • Ball Bearing drawer slides with 227 lb. capacity per drawer.
    • Double slides on 4", 5" and 6" drawers increase capacity to 500 lbs so drawers will operate smoothly under heavy loads.
    • High security tubular locks with restricted keyway can be easily keyed alike to other tool storage accessories.
    • Double wall construction and corner gussets for extra strength and rigidity.
    • Slide out writing surface in top narrow drawer plus two sliding parts trays.
    • Weld nuts are fastened to the sheet metal to provide extra support to the handle and caster bolts.
    • Full length drawer pulls.
    • Eight swivel casters with locking pins allow movement side-to-side, forward and backward.
    • Includes 144" x 29" stainless steel work surface.
    • Includes non-slip drawer liners.

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just want to see the video of them driving the truck up there......

14. muddysub

damn some one who really knows their toolboxes... you're right im comparing a pro-formance series matco to a snapon KRL... dig difference, but even my buddies KRA 3 bay is nicer than my 4735... ive owned snapon and matco boxes now and i must say i prefer snapon personally...

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Where the F**K are you gonna put a TWELVE FOOT LONG TOOLBOX?!

I mean... if you actually had enough s**t to justify all that storage volume, it's gonna be so friggin' heavy that you're gonna need a powered vehicle just to roll that b**ch around!
    And how ya gonna move it if you change jobs? You'd need to empty it before the rollback driver winched it on, so it wouldn't buckle in the middle from all that unsupported weight. I don't know about you, but if I had enough tools to fill a box that big, I'd get two separate rollcabs...

16. muddysub

ive known guys here in vegas that could easily fill that bax and that was years ago who knows what theyve got now... if you do it long enough you could end up at that point.... you dont push it around the shop, a lot of guys i know (hell including my self) cant move their boxes around anymore because either theyre too big or theres not enough room at the shop. and for moving it... the same way i moved mine from one shop to another, an overhead crane and a flatbed trailer. or a fork lift, you'd need two fork lifts for that box though. someday i hope to have a box like that...

17. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

that things crazy big..

if i had to do it over, I'd do a deep triple bank lower, matching topbox and lockers off either end...

I'd be curious to know what total capacity that setup would have compared to just that 12' rollcab..

hehe, imagine the topboxes you could throw on that 12'er....

18. 89GMCSuburban

There are people out there that buy a triple bay tool box and put a top box on it and fill it....the idea for this one is, you have the same storage capacity, but you have a work surface (Albeit, a freaking huge work surface) that you would not have with a top box. As much as you might not believe it...there are people that actually do need something like that.

Also....99% of the time...boxes that big do not move when loaded...that's not the idea. All Snap-on boxes come with rollers, but you can option out stands instead. I mean, if it didn't come with rollers and just had peg legs...how are you going to unload it off the truck and get it into the shop without a forklift?

19. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A mechanic here in town has Mr. Big. He also has a half hutch and a side locker on each end. The thing is just HUGE. It was delivered in a moving van. They used a rollback to get it from the van to the ground. He says all together about $24.000 in just the box.

20. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Crap! That's almost as much as my new garage!!! :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: