Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tools and Storage how to?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Blazer, Dec 23, 2001.

1. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

How do you guys store all of your tools in the blazer? Id like to carry my tools with me but they cost to much to have someone stealing them so how do you store them?

Scott
    78blazer

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Right now mine are in the back in a tool bag and you can't find a damn thing. I think the best way for me will be to buy a tool box that fits by the wheel well it had's 5 drawer's and locks it's also bolted to the bed. Craftsman has them as well as someother place's just make sure you get the right size you'll need the short one.

Eric

<a target="_blank" href=http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/>http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/</a>
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Some of the guys are using 20mm Amo boxes from Surplus. I just bought one myself (I may get another). They are very sturdy, water tight (as long as the seal is still good), and hold about as much as a normal (full size) hand held tool box. I'm thinking build a small base for it to drop in out of 1" angle with a piece of strap stock bent to go up and over the top and a small master lock securing it to the bed side. There are also many other sizes, larger and smaller. I saw an ordinance fuse box there that was probably 5 times the size of the 20mm Amo box for just a little more. I decided against it because it would just be too heavy loaded. However, when I get this thing a bit more together I may get one to mount permanently.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

There are lots of ways to store tools in your truck. The only thing to make sure of is that all of the tools, jacks, and so forth are well tied down. If you have ever rolled a truck or been in an acident, you realize that the things you leave lying around in your rig are not your best friends! Rolling your rig is also a good way to find all of the hings that you lost.

Kent

1989 K5

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

my mom was trying to throw out my towbox from when i was a kid, i rescued it and it is now my recovery/emergency box. chicks dig the vynil animal print too[​IMG]

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

The expensive tools go in the Tuffy lockable console. The other ones are in the back behind the backseat in a bigass Rubbermaid chest I got at Walmart. Its bolted to the floor and I have a padlock on it. The car alarm, radar sensor and 4 sirens doesn't hurt either. [​IMG]

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v always used ammo boxes I picked up from a surplus store. There are many diferent shapes and sizes. They are cheap, tough, waterproof, You can bolt them to the floor and lock them if you want. And can hold a wide assortment of junk.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I use some big ammo cans to store my tools and stuff. Its easy to rig a pad-lock system to secure them. They are steel, water proof, and CHEAP. Check out my webshots pics, mine are bolted to the bed behind the rear seat...and herculined too. =) gooooood times!

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

9. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

I use two side tool boxes you see on ulitity trucks, around 12 inches wide X 16 tall X 48 inches long, mounts right next to the fender wells in the back still leaves enough room between for a single seat or Ice chests, camping supplies whatever and they're great for organizing your tools so you can find what you need, inside I carry three of the 50 mm ammo cans, and a couple of the canvas tool bags, tranny oil, motor oil, power steering pump, alternator,spare axle shafts, belts, snatch straps, chains, jumper cables, spare Quadrajet. and lotz of misc small stuff.

White Knight