Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tools from harbour freight

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 4, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, I was looking on there and they have some stuff for pretty cheap, like I don't have a full set of screw drivers and they have a bunch of them... how is the company "Pittsburg" for quality? Anyone buy anything else other than tube kinkers from there before?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Their tools are very low quality but they're good for stuff you'll rarely use.

3. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

There is a Master Electrician here in the valley that loves haurbor freight tools. He buys a lot of them. Most of his drills were from there and he swore by them, said they were just as good as the expensive stuff and worked just as well. I personally have never bought anything but a engine stand from them. But may try some of there power tools later on.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I was looking at a set of like 250 cotterpins or something too... would those break easier than buying them locally at a hardware store... alot of cheap stuff on there... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

They have a $9.99 4 1/2" grinder there too... maybe I might pick one up for when my other grinders break... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

They have an outlet store near my house, like Tim said they are good for occasional use. I just bought a cheap set of picks to throw in with my trail tools.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

good for like jacks and that sort of thing, some of there tools are good for stuff you dont use that much like said, but yea u gatta watch it in those type of places..everything so cheap..u start thinking..ohh..this is only 5 bucks, guess it couldnt hurt..and ohhh..look at THIS..haha..

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I HAVE THAT GRINDER!

Oh man, it's realllllly shakey, but I use it to wire brush, so no prob

Some of the stuff, especially the pitsburg orange handled plier set, is really nice.

I have a $12 tourque wrench, I dont use it as a tourque wrench, but it's lon g and well made and didn;t break with a whole RJ on it

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I paid $20 for my 6 ton jackstands at Menards. How's that for a great buy?

They're 28" tall or so, too!!

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have found that the grinders last about 8-12 months in my hands (every weekend welding hobby). The wreches aren't too bad either. I have broken ratchets and screwdrives all to often so I would not go that route. Their air tools seem to be good for a hobbiest too. The are budget tools and will not have a wow factor however.

11. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I bought my sawzall there, has survived cutting the sheetmetal off the blazer, Ford shock tower install and body lift install, I killed almost a dozen blades, but the saw never gave me a bit of trouble. I like mine and only paid $35 for it on sale /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    u start thinking..ohh..this is only 5 bucks, guess it couldnt hurt..and ohhh..look at THIS..haha..

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I started doing /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I bought the Pittsburgh wrenches knowing full well they were going to be cheap. I needed some big sizes for my suspension etc . I am surprised at how they are working. I prefer name brand tools, but for 17 bucks they seem allright.
    Thanks,
    Paul

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

This is a bit off topic but is there a place online that sells Snap-on tools? Or other good quality brands like that?

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use some of their air tools and they seem ok, I have had a few grinders from them and they don't last very long, maybe a year. I wouldn't touch their tools because nothing pisses me off more than striping the head of a bolt or a nut. Craftsman or Snap On are the only hand tools I use but I do use a lot of their air stuff.

Joke: What does a lesbian and a mechanic have in common?....they both use snap on tools. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

whaa whaaa whaaaaaa, I know, it was lame. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    This is a bit off topic but is there a place online that sells Snap-on tools? Or other good quality brands like that?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Far as I know nope, you have to catch the guy driving around.

17. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As long as you are buying a tool that does not need to be high quality, then Harbor Freight is great; but go at least Craftsman, if not Snap-On, for things like Pittman Arm Pullers or Impact Sockets where the tool is going to have high loads placed on it.

I bought a cheap Pittman Arm Puller, made in China, from Harbor Freight once, and the arms on the puller just spread open as I screwed in the puller. I returned it to Harbor Freight, and went to Sears and bought a Craftsman Pittman Arm Puller made in America, which cost three times as much, but it worked great.

18. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I personally don't like most things from harbor frieght. Most of it is junk. I don't use there tools if I can help it. I use my tools a decent amount and all harbor frieght tools do for me is piss me off because they suck or they break.

I try my damndest to use only good tools. I try not to use tools that don't say Craftsman, Milwakee, DeWalt, Mikita, Snap On, etc.

Recently I have bought some Powerbuilt from Checker and they are OK but not the same quality as a Craftsman.

I have bought harbor frieght tools in the past and avoid them like the plague now. I am thinking about buying some wrenches for trail use but that is it. I don't have most of the tools i have bought there anymore. I broke them or threw them away. I have a couple cresent wrenches, but they suck too.

I know a guy (Matt AZK5) that use them alot and use them for everything. He does just fine with them and they do ok for him. They don't for me.

Harley

19. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

snapon.com

I bought my ball joint adjuster socket there.

I thought of one thing I bought from Harbor Frieght that has worked well. There big C-Clamp ball joint, ujoint, etc press works pretty well.

20. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They have a $9.99 4 1/2" grinder there too... maybe I might pick one up for when my other grinders break... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that!
    I bought three of them just so I wouldn't have to change the Media (grind disk, flapper wheel, wire wheel etc.).

I don't like most of their stuff, but... I did recently purchase a set of 5 ball pein hammers (up to 32 oz) for $6.99...can't beat that with a stick! (unless the head comes off and that's all you have left)

The 12 ton jack stands are nice, too. (pretty cheap considering their weight and what options there are in that weight range)