Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tools needed while taking steering column apart

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rusty79beast, May 12, 2004.

1. rusty79beast

rusty79beast Registered Member

I'm gonna dig into the steering column in the next couple of days to fix the annoying loose tilt thingy. I read you have to tear into the column and lock tite some bolts way down in there, but i also heard you might need some special tools to remove different things, so my question is what special tools will i need to fix this problem?
    Oh yeah, I replaced the draglink yesterday, and it fixed all my loose steering i had. so thanks to those who helped me on that one /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Thanks a bunch /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

STEERING WHEEL PULLER!! It is a huge bitch of a job if you don't have this nifty thingamajig.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My 79 C10 bonanza has the dreaded "loose tilt colum syndrome"too,and I have yet to try to fix one either--so I will be looking foreward to any replies to this question also. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif.After having the rag joint rip apart at the steering box on my K20 last month,I want to be sure my tires will turn when I turn the steering wheel! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If your looking for info on how to do it check out this Thread

5. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Odd tools needed would be as stated before the steering wheel puller but also a lock plate spring compressor and a Pivot pin removal tool.

I did this job recently on my father-in-law's old Pontiac. However I could not find my pivot pin removal tool. You can get to 3 out of the 4 loose screws without removing the pins. even with getting to only three the whole column will tighten right up.

Make sure you unplug the turn signal switch at the bottom so that you can pull the switch up far enough to get it out of the way. Once you get that far you can get the upper housing out of the way and get to the loose screws. You may need an Impact screwdriver to get the upper housing screws off though. The last couple I did were super tight.

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My 79 C10 bonanza has the dreaded "loose tilt colum syndrome"too,and I have yet to try to fix one either--so I will be looking foreward to any replies to this question also. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif.After having the rag joint rip apart at the steering box on my K20 last month,I want to be sure my tires will turn when I turn the steering wheel! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    As stated, you will need a steering wheel puller, a spring compressor, and a pivot pin remover. Like the guy before me said, you can get to 2 of the 4 bolts easily without taking out the pivot pins. The third is tricky but can be done as well. I didnt have a pivot pin remover so I only tightened 3 out of 4, and my column has been tight now for about 2 months with no sign of loosening. BTW I wouldnt recommend driving the truck for a long time with the tilt steering loose, because it will eventually wear out the bearings inside the column, and it is nearly impossible to buy those bearings aftermarket. If that happens, it would be much easier to buy a whole enw column.
    -Harrisom

7. ZooMad75

Good point on not driving much with the column loose. If yours is a later version with the High beam switch in the column it will not work with the column excessivly loose. My father in laws Pontiac was so loose you could not use the high beams at all.

For any that has not done it, it is not that difficult to do. It is intimidating to the first timer, but take it slow, keep the parts you pull off organized and don't force anything. Its a big 3-puzzle to put back together, but it goes right back together in reverse order of removal.

8. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    I just rent a steering wheel puller from Canadian tire!!

9. ZooMad75

For the cost of renting the puller, you can buy a cheap puller. Besides, you are not getting anywhere inside that column without getting the lock plate off. I've seen people try to beat the plate down to get the snap ring off. this usually results in carange to the turn signal switch.

10. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Actually, I was able to get the snap ring on and off with simple tools. No special puller at all. Now the pins that are deeper I have not attempted and I am planning on buying that removal tool. Sounds like I can get screwed if i break those. My steering wheel is loose but it happened all at once when I was getting in the truck. Hopefully nothings is broken in mine. We'll see when i crack it open. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

If I may, don't forget to use red locktite on those three boltsas they will only come loose again /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif