Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Toothpick Bridges

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jimmyjack, May 13, 2003.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever make one? My kid (I'm gonna choke him for a little while) just told me has to build a 200-300 piece bridge and it's due thursday. He had aaaaaaalllllll weekend to do it. At least it's not wednesday night /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Do you mean popsicle stick? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif If it's toothpick, you're on your own buddy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I had to make something like that once, but I don't remember if it was a bridge or not. I do remember it had to hold weight. We built them in science class.

I used alot of elmers glue and tried to construct an I beam type setup. It held pretty good if I remember right.

My buddy had to build one in high school, except his was with popsickle sticks. We cheated on his some though. We used wood glue and in structural points that were somewhat hidden we used JB Weld. It did really well from what he told me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I had do make one back in jr. high but not out of toothpicks. We had them all tested to breaking strength on this little hydraulic thing. I waited until the last minute to build mine too! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Use wax paper. The elemers glue dosnt stick to it very well. Do a design with alot of triangles. My bridge still holds the record at my highschool. Something like 35lbs. My teacher was amazed.

6. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

I had to do stuff like that in drafting class in HS. There was a rule against laminating pieces together, but if there isn't one for you guys, maybe give that a shot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Also, I'd suggest using as much glue as allowed and very short pieces of wood.

7. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

man, i hate when my kids wait until the last damn day to tell us about a project. whoop that little ass, i tell ya.
    lay all the toothpicks in a line, like a picket fence, but touching. pour glue all over it, wait an hour, then flip it over and glue some more.
    /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I showed that to him last night. I'm gonna let him sweat it out by himself. I have a board meeting tonight and a coaches meeting tomorrow night and he's off playing right now when I could actually be helping him so............ Thanks for the help.