Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top 10 Project List

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Guy, Jul 8, 2000.

1. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

Newbie, First Post, First Blazer - '79, 350", Totally Stock

Would like some "Top 10" recommendations of what should be done, in order, to turn this into a nice truck. Expect 90% road driving, 7% Sand, 3%?. Would like some lift and was thinking maybe something like 38" Rubber. Am capable of doing quite a bit of the work, but will get pro help where appropriate.

7 Chiln - 1 Blazer

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Mr. Kim, welcome to the best message forum....of all! The guys and gals here can help you with just about anything ya wanna do. My first suggestion would be to read back through the posts and see what has been done by others already.......I know, that takes lots of time, but there is lots of good info! Sounds like you gotta good idea already, lift then tires, nice shocks like Rancho 9000 or Edelbrock IAS, check out some nice tunes ideas in the "Audio" section and pick up some good deals in the "Parts" section. There are some serious 4WD guys here that will respond with some good ideas also.......I'm a Desert Racer type. Good luck and enjoy your time here!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

If you want to run 38" rubber you are gonna drop some coin on a 8 inch or larger lift kit and a body lift if you dont want to do some sheet metal trimming. For street use only you may get away with a 6" lift and bushwacker cut out fender flares. Then you have to look at gear changes for both front and rear ends. You dont have much in the wheeling department, so I would suggest Limited Slip in the rear and maybe the front. Good Stainless steel brake lines, and then you are going to have to do some kind of steering correction, dropped pitman arm and raises steering arm, or crossover steering.

Longer shocks, Rancho is what I prefer, 5000's should do you fine. It really all depends on your budget and your ultimate goal. During buildups you usually change your mind on the way your going to run the rig several times.

Good Luck
    Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

4. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Welcome! I hope that you get as much info and pleasure out of your participation here as I do.[​IMG]

Do you have your heart set on 38s? Why? You would have to go with an 8" lift at least (there is a guide in the tech section on this forum that will line out the lift/tire combo you need). That is a lot of lift, and would be very spendy. Consider that even for a 6" you have to get your drivelines done and make some steering mods imagine what that extra 2" will do. I just put my 6" in, and it is great but I have driveline vibration and have to re-route my exhaust in order to get my front driveline back on. Not too big of a deal, but it is the nickels and dimes that kill you![​IMG]

If in fact you do decide to run 38s you will have to get a 14-bolt probably. From what I have gathered from the gurus here, 38s will shred your 10-bolts. I would guess that a 14-bolt is your only option with rubber that big, but I could be wrong. Check the archives, there is lots of good axle info there.

Regearing is a must with 38s as well. I think you are looking at $3000 minimum if you do all the work yourself. You might be able to work some killer deals, but don't count on it. 38s are so huge I don't think that you could do it a little at a time...

That's my $.02, I hope you get the K/5 you want when you're done!

5. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Duh! I wrote a book anbd didn't give a "Top Ten". Here goes:

1. Make sure that steering, brakes, tranny, and nmotor are in tip top shape before doing anything else. This will save you more money than you think.

2. Quality audio. Can be done inexpensively, and ads to the enjoyment of driving (cannot be underestimated).

3. Lift/Tires. It is agony, but think long and hard about what you want the truck to do, ask a lot of questions, and then go for it. I personally went with a 6" and 35s. Remember that more lift and more tires equals exponentially more money. Steering mods here go without saying. Make sure your truck is safe!

4. Hi-Lift jack. Just about the only thing you cant use it for is to cook a steak. It is the most versatile tool in my truck. Oh, and it is very helpful should you have to change a tire.

5. RS9000s. Best shock made. I love mine. The in-cab controller is a great feature.

6. Regear. Get your truck into the stock performance range, or a little lower if you wheel a lot. Of course, when the diff is open you may as well...

7. Get a locker. Detroit makes lockers that nuclear weapons cannot destroy.

8. K&N Filter. Helps your motor breathe, and helps horsepower too. Worth every penny.

9. Roof Rack. A must if you plan on carrying anything when you go camping (you can now get to better places![​IMG])!

10. A winch. Buying one will guarantee that you will never need it. (It's the Warn Axiom: "Those who have the winches have the trucks that don't need them."

That's all for now....Have fun![​IMG]

6. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've seen a few Blazers/Jimmies with a 4inch suspension lift, Bushwacker fender cut outs and 38.5 inch tires. I've seen trucks with this setup a few times in mags and they were in the Fourwheeler Top Truck Chalange. If you read fourwheeler, you would remember that in the '99 TTC, there was a Ford Bronco with 4inches of lift and 44s. You can fit 38s on a truck with only 4 inches of lift. You will need to cut the fenders but I think a truck with 4inch lift , 38s and fender cutting looks pretty good. You can get pretty good off road performance with this setup. ggallin13, you said that it will shread his 10bolts. How do you know he has 10 bolts? He probably has a 12bolt rear and a 10 bolt front. If you beef them up, I believe they will be strong enough for the type off roading you r going to do. But If you have the money, swap in the 14 bolt and dana 60. Oh yeah, you also said that you r going to do some sand driving. Sand requires a powerfull engines, fat tires and a low truck. So if you would do a lot of sand driving, an 8 inch lift would be too much. You would have a chance of rolling when you are racing up a sand dune. So If your mind is set on 38s, I think you should either lift it 4 inches and cut the fenders. But if you don't want to cut up your truck, you should start saving. Oh yeah,If you lift a truck 4 inches, it wont require that much modifying after the a 6"+ lift.

[​IMG]Chevy4x4[​IMG] http://fourbyfour.coloradok5.com/K5home.htm

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Make it strong before you make it big. Steering box brace from www.offroaddesign.com should be your first upgrade.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

8. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Welcome to another proud '79 owner.

I bought mine with some mods like 35" tires, 4" lift (blocs), edelbrock performer intake and 600cfm carb on a 350.
    This setup is just fine, only few things to be changed soon.
    Here's my list:
    1. K&N airfilter 14"x4" DONE (bigger is better)
    2. 6" longer break-lines DONE (goodbye tow-truck)
    3. 1.5" spacers rear DONE (no show, she rides better now)
    4. new shocks Rancho 5000s DONE (aaahhhh, what a difference)
    5. steering arm brace TODO (prevents frame from cracks and will give straight ride, I hope)
    6. replace 4" blocs by 4" suspension lift front and shackle flip rear TODO
    (maybe I'll add 2" body-lift, instead of cutting fenders)
    7. LOCKERS: I WANT ON/OFF LOCKERS FRONT/REAR !!! TODO
    8. hd bumpers/tire carrier TODO
    9. winch TODO
    10. save money for mods/repairs TODO,LOL!!!

Hope this helps.

Balou
    "Size DOES matter!!!", said the girl last night.
    http://www.balou.coloradok5.com

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

38's IS a whole lot of tire if you haven't spent much time off road. It raises your center of gravity and gives your truck a whole different personality. Having just lifted my truck, I think it's going to both help and hurt me off road. I love high speed stuff from dunes to tuff truck and it'll hurt me there. But I'll gain a lot in the trailriding category. Personally, I'm in the final stages of what you're about to undertake so here was my steps once I decided to do it:

1) Purchased used 36x12.50x16 super swamper radials, wagon wheels, 14 bolt rear, D44 front and 2.5" lift springs as package deal. Sold 2.5" springs $600 investment
    2) Rebuilt axles with new bearings and seals where needed, brakes, studs, wheel cylinders, detroit locker rear, and help from a backyard builder. Installed them. $1400 investment
    3) Bought 4" Tuff country front springs, 4" procomp brakelines, shims, steering arm, installed them. $400 investment
    4) designed my own shackle flip bracket, welded on, reversed shackle. Then made 1" longer front rear shackles. FREE
    5) ordered 4" lift RS9000 shocks, sent 'em back...currently waiting on my 9012s $280 with parts mike towers
    6) new u joints on driveshafts $100 pressed in.
    7) bought Interstate Optima battery $130
    8) tranny rebuild and torque converter, currently waiting on that also $400
    9) making custom bumpers, practically free.
    10) buy your tools, keep your spares, have fun!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress