Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top 2 bellhousing bolts...what tool do you use?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Oct 11, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I've tried all my extensions and wiggly heads and still can't get enough torque to turn them. I'm thinking about going and buying one of those little impact ratchets. Think that'd get it done? I've got the tranny lowered about 4 inches, I don't wanna lower it anymore because I don't wanna risk breaking the bolts or breaking anything else.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I use a 3' long 1/2" to 3/8" drive Snap On extension with a swivel 9/16" socket and haven't had any problems.

The floor pan will come out of a lot of these trucks, have you tried that?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That changed around 85 or 86 unfortunately...my 86 tranny tunnel is not pullable.

Can't you get at the top bellhousing bolts with a box end wrench from inside the engine bay?

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

If you cant take that tunnel off. then lots of extensions and the swivel with the 9/16. take out the rear transmission mount and lower the transmission some. this will kick the motor up and lean down the rear end. then its easier to see and get to from behind the transmission. i forgot to say pull the driveshaft and put a rag in the hole to stop the fluid. just my .02 hope it helps. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

69K5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    Nathan

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Man that sucks about the floor pans... my old 80 has me spoiled. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Or, go the other way, raise the engine as much as you can from the back without breaking anything (fan shroud, tranny shifter, etc) and that may help get it from inside the engine bay if not enough extensions.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I did mine from the engine bay.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I always get at them from the top with a box end. Not fun, can be slow, watch your knuckles, but, it works...

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I can get to mine from the engine bay - basically sitting in the engine bay (nice and roomy.) Not fun and you'll skin your knuckles, but what's a little blood.
    -- Mike

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I use socket, U-joint, two extensions (about 18" total) and the ratchet, from under the truck, but I have only done it with the T-case removed.

11. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

big fan of 5-6 extensions of varying lengths and a swivel at the end

ryan

12. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I do like nvrenuf, and use 1/2 down to 3/8, then to the bolt. Sometimes they are in there really good, and need a serious amount of whoopin' to bust free. Good luck to you!

-Dan

13. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

What 69k5 said. It has worked very well for me in the past.

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It also depends on what your doing. If your taking out the engine only, then using extensions can be more trouble if you have to drop the tranny down. Removable tunnel obviously makes it easier. Then again, you can pull engine and tranny (and case) as a unit, then use an impact on it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Biggest problem with stacking long extensions is that they tend to absorb allot of the torque rather than transferring to the bolt. They also make it tougher to get a universal to work right, and the “wobbly” extensions are another option. If you are removing the tranny and leaving the engine in place, and, if you want to use extensions, I would do it like some have said. Use 1/2 extensions, they will not twist nearly as much.

One other thing to think of, you can use a box end (sometimes upside down helps to get the fork away from the fire wall) to break the bolt loose. If it does not loosen “finger tight” quickly, you can then use the extensions to get it the rest of the way out. Oh, another trick is hooking the “box” of one wrench over one “toe” of the “fork” of the wrench on the bolt. This will give you more leverage but, be careful, it can also break a wrench and mess up a hand…

15. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

impact, 30" extension, and a "swivel" 9/16" impact socket. It's really hard to hold a monster impact and the heavy extension up there with one hand but you can do it. This is how I did it when I pulled my motor.

16. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Got it!! I went to the big boy toy store, and got me a 30" extension. I think I like my new toy, I hope I can use it again someday, otherwise I'll just have to put it in the bottom drawer w/ the rest of the tools that I bought and only got to use once /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

17. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

get a body lift...

last time i did it we had about 3' of extensions with a swivel on the end.

18. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

You'll use it, you just have to think to use it. It's not something you normally think to use. It's great for lazy people like me that don't want to crawl under their truck or lean too far over a fender. I would have to say though that by far I use it when I need to pass by something such as a transmission or exhaust system. You know, like when you have a bolt right tight to something and you need distance so the universal or swivel socket doesn't have to be at such a great angle to fit the impact on.

It's a great tool. Kind of like crow's feet. I never think to use them unless I can't fit anything else in there. Half the time I think about it after the fact and I think it'd be faster to use a crow's foot than a combination wrench.

19. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

What's a crows foot?

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Here's a picture of some crows foot wrenches: Crows Foot Set
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif