Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

top bolts stripped!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70_K5, Aug 11, 2002.

1. 70_K5

70_K5 Registered Member

i went to take my dads top off of his 89 k-5 and i found out 2 of the tops bolts r stripped. they r in the top's of the side rails, not like on the "can" part. so how can i get the bolts to hold in the rails? the bolts are on the same side of the top that is my only concern. thanks for all of ur help.... and it is great to be running topless

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think that you can get to the backside if you remove the side panel on the interior. The nuts are mounted in a retainer that lets them move around a bit, to make up for hole alignment problems. You should be able to get a tool in there to hold them while you take the bolt out from the top.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

What Harry said, and I'll bet they're not stripped but the rectangular piece of metal w/ the threadded hole has pushed aside the retainer thing and is just turning w/out anything holding it,What I had to do was take the side panels off and I had to make one retainer but was able to bend the others back in place also you'l need to chase the threaded hole w/ a tap and die set to get the rust outta the holes and lube them up good so they wont rust again before putting the bolts back in, hope this helps... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif