Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

top chop BUT reattachable? link and questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Mar 21, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

So i've always wanted a full convertable 2nd gen, but i want to drive it in the rain, so i found a guy that cut the top off his yota and from the looks of the article he has it on hatches, so its reinstable, think this is possible with a k5?
    Link

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

now that would be the way to go if possible /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i think an easier way to do that would be to do the normal conversion to a 73-75 top. use the 73-75 window frame.
    find two 73-75 tops.
    keep one stock and repair as needed.
    the second one, cut at the vertical window opening areas. then graft the two together with glass. it would then bolt down as stock mounts. you could use some plexiglas in the rear slot for the stock window on the top.
    i think it would look a lot better, serve the same purpous and be ighter.
    i have the top from y 74 cut kind of like htat. but since i dont care aboutlooks i didnt grapht in the aft section.
    grant

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So i've always wanted a full convertable 2nd gen, but i want to drive it in the rain, so i found a guy that cut the top off his yota and from the looks of the article he has it on hatches, so its reinstable, think this is possible with a k5?
    Link

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

That kit looks an awful lot like what Ratical tops used to put out a lifetime ago. I'm thinkin that it would be possible to do but I'm also thinkin that maybe a targa top kinda idea would serve the same purpose and still keep the factory roll bar. Just a thought to throw into the mix. Discuss at your leisure and good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Just get a soft top!

7. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

They still make them and it is there kit I found that same write up serching for there kit a while ago. Here is a link I found they are expensive Ratical tops

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They still make them and it is there kit I found that same write up serching for there kit a while ago. Here is a link I found they are expensive Ratical tops

[/ QUOTE ]
    1973 - 1987 CHEVROLET C10,C20 CONVERTIBLES RATICAL HARDTOP KIT
    Body Type: PICKUP Lugs: 5,6 $349.00
    SKU#: RAT-GM7387

that is cheaper than a soft top. Is this the kit i'd need for a blazer? anyone forsee any other problems i'd run into with this kit, i mean for 350 bucks to have a removeable and reinstallable hard top would be worth it to me. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You'll need either a full cage or reinforced floors because as soon a you cut it, It's gonna flex like a muther trucker. If your not careful, you'll end up with a broken windsheild and your floors will oil can everythime you get in and out of it. Don't ask me how I know.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I was looking at this same thing but I had one of2 other ideas. Either make a targa or t top looking keeping the back loop behind the doors so it works like a supra or do some 70's style t tops like a trans am. But that ratical tops looks a lot nicer. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

At first I thought it was Rodney the Rats too (another words Ratical Tops), but with the rivits on the top of the pic it is a Hot Top (company before Ratical Tops)... and yes I would reinforce the body if I did this. One way is to add a cage.... As for if this would work on a Blazer. I think you will have to modify it some. as there is a plasitic piece that goes across the back on a pickup and not on our k-5's.

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Im planning on chopping the roof off mine for fun and cage dropinability. I can also weld the cage much better.

I plan on plateing the mounting surfaces so they can at least kind of seal, and then mounting the top to the cage, it would seem that would be a hell of a lot easier.

My only concern is if I roll, and the windshield frame gets tweaked, what am I going to do to replace the windshield? I'll just have to maike the cage hug real good I suppose