Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

top chop, front and rear taper *pics* and now the cage

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by BOWTIE, Feb 4, 2004.

1. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

i would consider this an extreme body mod. i'm thinking on hacking mine off and wanted to know if any of you guys that have already done it regret having done the deed..

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: top chop

One of the best body mods I have even done, the only thing I regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

3. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

that's kinda what i wanted to hear.
    my top is about to crack apart anyway from all the body flex. talking about that what did you or anyone do to support the windsheild.

4. CK5

Nothing, I have a real good cage. The next go-around I dought I will even have a winshield frame. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

i can hear that whistling smilie from here. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif what do you have planned?? something like watson's rig?? that'll be sweet..

6. CK5

1972 Vega body (no top of course) with Chevy Luv truck bed out back, going for a retro theam. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Not quite sure at the moment what I will end up doing, ask me this fall, depends on how bad it looks. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I can vouch for Steve's rig. Riding down to Indy was incredible. And I was especially thankful for the nascar 'cage when the tilt-o-meter hit 45 degrees... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I had to cut some rusted bolts to get mine off...does that count? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I took the thing off, put it in the backyard, and never put it back on. I think I liked driving in the rain with the top off more than with it on...as long as I stayed moving I got less wet with no roof.

Full toppers rule /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i was told that the body will seperate if the top isn't there to box in the rocker area. from what i've read most people who have done this mod have also reinforced thier rockers. steve, did you do that or do you find that the cage does enough reinforcement to the body?

10. CK5

My rockers are 3 x 3 1/4" square tube. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

i can see how the body would separate if no cage was there to reinforce the body. but would the cage alone help keep things together?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

my body is pretty much thrashed so i think it's not gonna last long anyways.. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

A regular cage doesn't do much to help the doors. Reason is most of the flexing is done at the front where the firewall meats the floor. For a cage to reduce flex you should tie the cage into the dash.

13. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

yeah, i was thinking about that.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif maybe a removal of the dash would be an option. that way i can build a custom one to tie everything together.

14. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

just another thought.. what if half doors were used?? cut to where you did have to open them to get in but tied to the door jam area.. would that work??

15. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I did mine and liked it, but by the time I did it, the body was supported as much by the cage as by the frame. I think addressing the body rigidity is the only concern. That and figuring out a clean way to put a top back on it if you want to. I think adding the windshield frame and doors from a 73-75 is the cleanest way to do it. Maybe I can build another K5 and do this some day. I think for now I'm going to have to stick to 4 doors or tube toys.

16. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I did mine and liked it, but by the time I did it, the body was supported as much by the cage as by the frame. I think addressing the body rigidity is the only concern. That and figuring out a clean way to put a top back on it if you want to. I think adding the windshield frame and doors from a 73-75 is the cleanest way to do it. Maybe I can build another K5 and do this some day. I think for now I'm going to have to stick to 4 doors or tube toys. Maybe I could do this to a Suburban....my barn doors would look kind of funny though.

17. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

i can see what you mean about making things fit if you wanted to put a top back on. i'm not so i was just thinking of using someting strapped to the top of the cage.

definitely something to think about. my body is not in the best shape either. if it was straight i don't think i would even consider cutting it off. h3ll, i think i'm gonna do it!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

if it's not there it can't get dented, right?

18. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

ok, i checked out some pictures of k5s that had the tops cut and i started to mark mine up. i noticed that some had cut about 4" away from the windshield rubber molding. i marked mine about 1 1/2 for that spot. i'm i gonna run into any problems??

just for info... i'm not going to use doors or a top..

19. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

well, i went ahead and went for it.. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[​IMG]

wasn't to bad and the windshield is pretty sturdy. after some wheeling i bet that it will change though.
    for more pictures
    http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/members/albuo60

cage will be coming next.

20. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Looks good! I don't know why GM ever put a roof on them in the first place.