Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

top chop on trucks

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by big83chevy4x4, Feb 7, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i want to do this but im going to be wheeling in the rain and snow and want to be able to put it back on. there is one place that makes a fiberglass convertable top but they want 900 witch i think is a rip.

my question is do you think that i will be able to put like a tonque and grove where i cut it off and put some weather stiping on it and clamp it back together?

ill see if i can draw up what im talking about. and would i be the first one to do it on a truck? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

edit: here is the pic
    [​IMG]

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It's been done before... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifwith much succcccccccsess....And I'm drunk err , uhhhh I mean I'm gonna do the same to an S 10... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifNot laughing , it's just that my headf is rolling around like the lil' emoticon right now... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I remember back in the late 80's early 90's this was pretty common thing with the street truck crowd. I used to see adds for companys selling kits to do this in Truckin magazine. Hell they might still run adds like that. You may even get some info from Truckin.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I remember back in the late 80's early 90's this was pretty common thing with the street truck crowd. I used to see adds for companys selling kits to do this in Truckin magazine. Hell they might still run adds like that. You may even get some info from Truckin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to it. I was gonna say the exact same thing. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

theres nothin on theie web site, sooo... ill go to the store and read the mag and see if i can find anything. i think i could do it with out a kit just wont look as nice /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Hahahaha

I was just inspired to do this too, from the other chop thread

Anyway, I want to do it for the open top thing and to drop a cage in easier

I thought Id cut it at the pillars and a little farther back than a blazer.

Id plate the pillars so they could fit flush together.

For the rear I was thinking two pieces of angle coming together to for a T

|_
    |-

Like uh that

For the top Id take a .120 thick piece of maybe 3" wide flat and bend it to the contour of the roof and weld it on the inside, then when the roof comes down theres something under it, like a piece of 3" tape over a seam. Then maybe a thick rubber strip over that.

My truck is flatbedded and whatnot so look isn't as important (as far as that angle plate hooktogether goes)

Keeping the top is a fun side effect, not a mandatory for me

I also plan on putting in a 10 point cage without the rear bars and attaching it to the frame in 4 or more places.

In addition I plan on stiffening the frame throughout, so I think it will work out

Hmm, I'll keep an eye on this thread

7. big83chevy4x4

i just wonder if i should bolt it together instead of a clamp. im thinking if the body is flexing with the top on it might pop out of the grove and fall off or something.
    im going to have to look and my cab and take some measurements before i deside what im going to do.

oh yea im putting a cage in it too /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

What would be wrong with just a soft top? You could get one made at a boat shop. Much easier to take off because you can just fold it up and toss it in the back.

9. Resurrection_Joe

[ QUOTE ]
    What would be wrong with just a soft top? You could get one made at a boat shop. Much easier to take off because you can just fold it up and toss it in the back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking of that too, but theres not much to mount one too on mine, plus the doors....

Wait, how the hell do they seal the doors on 75 and earlier K5 soft tops /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. Resurrection_Joe

[ QUOTE ]
    i just wonder if i should bolt it together instead of a clamp. im thinking if the body is flexing with the top on it might pop out of the grove and fall off or something.
    im going to have to look and my cab and take some measurements before i deside what im going to do.

oh yea im putting a cage in it too

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I'm hoping mine will bolt together and seal as well as you can expect. I think I can put the angle for bolting the top on on the inside, and the only real problem with sealing is going to be the rear corners and the very edges of the top cut.

Oh I was planning on not just cutting through the pillars on the rear, but below, so I had something to bolt the angle too and caulk it up good. It shouldn't leak any more than my k5 does

ABout the body flexing, I think a good solid cage with proper mounts will stiffen it up good. If you plan on thick brakes skid plates and t case supports and bumpers that should help too.

Chop trucks look good with the bed on, with my flatbed, I dunno how it's gonna turn out

I'll post up photoshopped crap later

11. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

13. big83chevy4x4

my grand ma could make me a soft top. its just that i don't know if it want one or not. that web site sells a soft top kit for 650 and a hard top kit for 350. i might go that way. im just dont know just yet

14. big83chevy4x4

i noticed that where i plan to cut in on the back it is very thin only 1 ply sheetmetal there. i would have to strengthen that before i could reinstall the top. but i think i could do it with my tongue and grove plan /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah Ratical is the one I used to see all the time (back in the day) /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif