Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top chop

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, May 1, 2004.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well, after talking about it for months I decided there wasn't anytime like the present so I /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif my steel half cab off the truck on Friday night.

I'm driving down to Vancouver WA and picking up a full topper from Chevyfumes tomorrow morning. In the meantime I had to build a very basic 4 point rollbar so I could have somewhere to attach my shoulder belts to. Unfortunately time was short and I wasn't able to get any 1.75" tubing (which is the die size I have for my bender) Instead I ended up using a 14 foot length of 2.5" x 0.125" wall we had laying around our steel rack at work.

It's strong, but not especially pretty.

Getting a proper cage done now just became a priority, the body flex is brutal even with box tube sliders welded to the body.

The 'remains' of the steel half cab officially weigh 101 lbs. We have an electronic scale that we use with our overhead crane at work. It's accurate to within 1 lb and the ha;f cab itself came in at 96 lbs...with the upper door frames accounting for the other 5 lbs.

Pics...maybe 'fumes will snap a few and post them tomorrow. I have none so far.

Rene

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Ah, hell yeah! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I'll drink to that!

3. tRustyK5

Nothing like driving a full 'vert...can't keep the dumb grin off my face! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

As long as it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll be happy. It's been exceptionally warm and dry this spring (82 and sunny today) I just need it to hold out for one more day. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

4. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

can we get some pics /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Nothing like driving a full 'vert...can't keep the dumb grin off my face! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

As long as it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll be happy. It's been exceptionally warm and dry this spring (82 and sunny today) I just need it to hold out for one more day. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So that's where the good weather went! It's been colder than a polar bear's ass here. Damn near 50! BRRRR!

6. tRustyK5

I don't have a digi-cam...maybe 'fumes will take a few tomorrow and post them up for me.

Rene

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It's not gonna rain and I charged the digi cam bat, we're set doood!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

badassed dude!!!! i look forward to seeing those pics. safe driving /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. tRustyK5

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

They are calling for showers overnight here...we'll see I guess. I ain't duct taping a chunk of tarp to whats left of my windshield frame no matter what. If we get wet then we get wet...big deal! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Rene

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Speaking as a real fullvert owner ... sorry, had to get the dig in ... I know from experience that rain doesn't affect you above 15-20mph (25-35kph for you GWN types.)

I'm sure it's to do with the Blazer having the aerodynamic coefficient of a brick; I figure there's so much air buffeting off the front of the truck that the rain just runs away /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Now, rolling up to red lights is a little irritating (not to say dampening the spirits, so to speak!) ... and duct tape at highway speeds... the voice of experience ... Zog say, BAD. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

11. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    sorry, had to get the dig in

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there ain't anything 'real' about my truck anymore.

Front clip is a mix of '90, 83, and 81 pieces, windshield frame will soon be a 73, cowl/firewall is an 81 as is the frame. Doors are cut down '91 doors. From behind the front seats (Honda BTW /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) the box part is 73 with '88 box sides and fuel door. Tailgate is a '91. 6.2 diesel from an 85 K20, SM465/205 from a 77 K20, front and rear diff's are '85 M1008.

The frame is still original though.

It has no hope of ever being a period correct resto so I'll continue to add the features and oprions from the entire GM truck line circa 73-91. Take all the good/cool and throw em all into one rig...

Rene

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Lol sounds like my rig!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Rene, i was thinking the same thing as Tim as i was reading your last post. '79 chassis and bed, 86 cab, 82 C10 clip, 82 K30 axles, 78 K20 trans and case, 85 C10 clutch setup, and as of now 87 TBI setup to go on top of a 96 5.7... that is WHEN i get it all put together.

do you have a windshield frame yet? or are you going to modify your existing frame?

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I can't wait for the pics, do you just have after pics, or do you have pics of the process of chopping it? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif