Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top cutting

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CAPTAINK5-CT, May 18, 2001.

1. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

I read alot about people cutting up old hard tops. What are you using to cut the tops? How difficult is it to cut? I have an extra top, and want an open/soft top, so maybe I'll try to be creative with the extra hard top.

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I think most people are talking about removing their steel half cabs.....this would require a sawzall, torch, muffler cutoff tool, etc. If ya wanna hack up the fiberglass top just about anything would work....in the saw family.

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

3. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

thats actually a good idea you could just use the outer frame of the top and have a boat shop do the rest.......i think you guys helped me solve the soft top frame problem.........

[​IMG]

4. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

No, I'm pretty sure they're talking about the fiberglass tops. Just don't know where/how to begin.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm really thinking about this too. I figured if I could get another top, I'd take out the windows, widen those openings up as much as I can, and cut a huge square out of the center top, leaving just a 2 or 3 inch wide frame all around. Then run over to the boat shop...

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Been there done that! About 6 years ago I cut up an old top with a jigsaw and a hacksaw. Now I have smartened up and if I ever did it again Id use a grinder and a cutting wheel. The only tough part was at the rear rollover bar inside the fiberglass at the back. Its reinforced with steel. But a hacksaw or a cutting wheel makes short work of it. I cut mine from the front edge of the window, up and over the top to the other side. Then cut it off straight back from the window frame around the corner to the rear glass opening. Works like a charm and saves the body. I really like the look of the frame on it, it kinda gives it a fastback cab extended look instead of the sharp square look of the cab. The boat top shop charged me $400.00 to sew up the top and had my truck for a day and a half. The only snaps in the body are in the tailgate, but if you found some kind of rail with the sliding snaps, it would save the gate too. You know, like the soft tonneau covers that you dont have to drill to fasten.
    My website shows some pics... I think its linked to from the other cutting top post. BTW, thanks for the links and the references to me. I have put a lot of time into the design of the truck and every bit of credit I can get only serves to inflate my ego even more! [​IMG] According to the wife that is!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

7. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Hey Mike, It was my doing for linking the post to you[​IMG]. Hey you deserve credit for coming out with that design. So let the ego keep inflating. [​IMG]

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]