Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top-end rebuild Tips?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert D, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Well, I am going to pull the heads this weekend and take them into a machine shop. Is there anything worth swapping out while I am at this? I have found gasket kits, but are there head rebuild kits available with other parts (including bolts for instance?). Thanks in advance guys!

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How worn are your heads? There are several cheap, better heads available from Summit etc that may well be cheaper than getting yours done. If you need valves, guides lining, springs, head skim, seats cutting and lapping I bet replacement heads would be cheaper.

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Summit has some OK buys on iron heads that are fully assembled with valves & springs. You could install a camshaft and lifter kit while you've got the top end torn apart, although with TBI, you can't get radical with cam profiles (unless you get your ECM reprogrammed). For a cam change, the radiator would have to come out (unless you're pulling the whole engine for easier access).

4. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I was quoted a shop here in Austin did good head machine work for a local k5 guy for under 300. Including 1 new head as one of his was cracked...it looks like replacing the heads is ~600 or more...that doesn't seem practical for this truck.

Is there any additional parts to gaskets/bolts/valves/springs to go ahead and replace while I'm there? This is going to be done with the motor in the truck.

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The machine shop should test the springs for you. If the motor hasn't been apart more than a couple of times the head bolts should be OK to reuse.

I like good quality gaskets...cheapees always seem to cause problems. Rubber valve cover gaskets and be sure to use Right Stuff at the ends of the intake. Don't use the rubber pieces that come with the intake gasket kit.

6. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Yeah; the motor has 150k on it now and from what I know of the previous owner. The heads have not been removed...ever. He says he never had any issues with the truck...which from what I have found out is he never replaced anything.

7. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Never, Ever, re-use head bolts. They're torque to yield. A new set of Fel-Pro head bolts shouldn't cost more than $25, or you could buy ARP for more.

8. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Ok; so gasket kit, head bolts, possibly springs/valves/etc for valve job...any other hardware I should go ahead and replace while I am at it?

9. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Just to clarify, ARP aren't torque to yield, you can re-use them until they're all boogered up.