Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top end rebuild...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Jan 12, 2005.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

OK, I have a stock 350, but it was rebuilt about 40,000 miles ago. Might not have beened bored over, maybe just rings and bearings. All I know is it runs decent, just underpowered.

I was talking to my engine building buddy today about freshening it up.

I'd like to have the valves seats ground, maybe shave the heads some for some more compression, put headers on it, new cam, new intake, don't think I want to dump my quadra puke(but if I did, what would you buy?) and of course retune everything.

So, what parts would you go with shooting for 275 HP 350 ftlbs of torque. Power band for a 700r4/NP208 with 3.73-4.10s with 33s-35 inch tires eventually. Right now i'd assume it's a 3.08 ratio w/ 31s. It wants to shift back in forth unless I pull it down into drive(instead of OD)

Willing to spend about $1000 on engine parts.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I would look at a set of L31 vortec heads (~$550), good aluminum intake manifold ($150), and a cam and lifters in the 220 duration @.050 range (around $100, but don't go over .450" lift or so or you may bind the stock valve springs and have to pay to have them machined for bigger springs). You will also need to buy new valve covers ($30-150). If the timing chain has never been replaced you should go ahead and do that as well (they are cheap, though). The vortec heads flow much better than stock and have a 64cc combustion chamber which will raise your compression as well and are cheap enough that you are probably better off buying these heads rather than paying to redo your stock ones. The intake will give a little more power and lighten the front end (it is also required with the vortec heads). The cam will give you a good overall gain. Cheap headers, head and intake gaskets will put you right around $1,000 and you will not believe how much power you will pick up!:D

3. 1977k5

Oh yeah, and keep the Q-jet!

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i never have like shaving the heads and or decking the block, you run into to many problems with puttin the intake on and everything not lining up. but thats just me, i like 38377k5's idea better, also if you get the vortec heads you can get a adatper to use the regular valve covers, not shure if it costs more than just buying a set of covers, or how well thaey seal. but it might be worth lookin into.

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I agree with what is said up above about not shaving the late model heads . The deck thickness is not that great to start with and it is not always the best way to go . Don't sacrifice durrability for mild power gains - older castings are more forgiving but the later stuff is boarderline at best .

Tom

6. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Good plan here, You'll also need a set of self alligning rockers, GM # 12495490 ($50.00)

7. 1977k5

Why would you ever use an adapter to go back to the early terribly designed valve covers? The centerbolts are SO much better. BTW, the vortec heads are known to crack a little easier than an earlier head, but if you don't overheat it you will have no problems.

8. 1977k5

I don't think anyone said anything about shaving the late model heads. The vortec's have a 64cc (closed) combustion chamber while the older heads probably have 76cc (open chambers). The heads will be much better performance, raise the compression with no modification (and still use premium fuel), and durability is really not an issue.

9. WantedaDodge

So, I can get appropriate rockers for $50? I think I can get a set of stock Vortec assemble heads pretty cheap from a bud.

10. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

Q-jet

:cool1: Another vote for keepin' The Q-Jet!(:mad: Quadra-puke I think not!:mad: )Try either a carb rebuild or a remanufactured Q-jet!Good luck!:grin:

11. 1977k5

Your best bet would be to find someone who has taken off their stock rocker arms off of a Camaro or Firebird (they are exactly the same if they have centerbolt valve covers, which are late 80's early 90's and on) in favor of high ratio roller rockers. Make sure that the casting on the heads you buy end with 092 IIRC and that the valve seats, seals, and springs are good. I happen to have a set of self aligning rocker arms and centerbolt valve covers but have no way to sell them to you on this board.

12. WantedaDodge

oh, I don't have anything against the Qpuke. Mine runs fine actually and I really don't want to get rid of it.

I just don't know how to tune them. A holley I can tune as fine as a cat's ass hair. Qjet, I know nothing about.