Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top Engine Cleaner>>?? How to...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kamots, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Hey guys newb here. I picked up some "top engine cleaner" so i can do some maintenance on my K5, its a 87 305TBI with 83k actual miles. Used only to pull boats. If someone could go thru the steps for me using this product. Also i was wondering, it says "if the vehicle has an air management system, disconnect the AIR diverter valve solenoid to divert the AIR from the converter." Now as im not a mechanic but am not oppossed to learing new things, please tell me if i have such to deal with. Thanks in Advanced......

Kamots /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Are you talking about a cleaner/degreaser ???? If so, the best stuff I've found is Easy-Off oven cleaner. Just spay it on all over the motor, coat it real good, drive around for 20 mins to an hour, stop at a car wash and hose off. Warning: will take the paint off the engine aswell as dirt, grease, oils, and grime. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Actually it goes in the motor. I got the tip offa the site here, it helps to remove carbon buildup an such. Blows the nasty stuff out the exhaust. Just wanted some assurance on what im planning to do with it. Thanks for the response /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Oh, I guess we're talking about 2 different things then.

5. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

the way i always do it is to unplug the vacuum line off the brake booster and run a small hose from the top engine cleaner can into the vacuum line off the booster and run the vehicle until it stalls out from the top engine cleaner, sometimes it doesnt stall but if it does thats normal, then let the vehicle sit for about a half hour and restart it, it will blow out alot of smoke but that is normal so dont worry /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif hope this helps! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Where did you get it from? Did you have to go to the dealer for it?

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Stuff works. Usualy the recomend procedure is rev the motor to about 1500 RPM and shoot it straight down the throat slowly. Try to stall it out at about half a can and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Fire it back up and run the rest of the can through it and let it run for a while. I would recomend replacing the spark plugs after doing this.
    My work van had a valve stick. THat stuff saved having to pull off the head to fix it. The Dealer mechanic had diagnosed the stuck valve and decided to give the stuff a shot and it worked.
    I also ran some though my Supra PRAYING that it had a stuck valve well no such luck it had a burnt valve. So about 10 miles after running it through I had to pull the head. What carbon was left was flaking off. You could scrape it free with your thumb nail.

8. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

thanks for the replies guys, and yes i did get it from a GM dealership, actually the biggest in the state not to far from my house. You should see the assortment of classics they have, Camaro's, vettes. Sweet oldies plus all of the soft, supple, whoa get hold of yourself...umm yea nice new cars too.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kamots

oh P.S. do i need to change the oil after or just the plugs? And also do i have an AIR management system i need to disconnect like the bottle says? 4.95 a bottle for preventative maintenance isnt too bad me thinks.

9. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Has anyone felt an improvement is power or get better gas mileage from it? I'm kind of nervous about making my engine stall and exhaust blowing a lot of smoke.

10. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

I had about 10 seconds with a mech at the dealer an he said they use the product probably 15 times a week. Cleans the crap rite outta da engine thru the exhaust. But im still wondering if i have an AIR management system and or if i need to disable it. Not to mention if i need to change oil as well as plugs.
    I wasnt about to pay to talk to the guy. So i ambled on home an jumped on the net to ask these Great Guys here on CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

OK again i say newb, please excuse my stupid AIR question. I just realized what it was an where it was. "Solemly looking down". OK i still need to know if i should change the oil after using the "Top Engine Cleaner" or not, Grim said to change plugs an thats already on the list of maintenance to do, but someplease tell me if i will harm engine by not changing the oil as well. TIA

12. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

if you have and AIR management system you will ahev two aluminum tubes that run directly into each exhaust manifold. If you trace back this tubes they have rubber tubesthat go into them. BY tracingthese back it will lead you to the AIR pump. Which is a pump that runs air directly into your exhaust manifolds to help the exhaust have a more complete burn, and thus be more environmentally friendly. The Pump itself is located under the alternator pump at the bottom left part of the engine. I don't know about the diverter solenoid valve. There are two valve that go into this system ,a nd I don't know the name of either one of them. If you unplug the metal tubes that go into the exhaust from the rubber tubesthat run inot them, it should do the trick. You have to plug both ends of the tubes that you take loose. A piece of a rag or something would work to plug the hole, but be caresful that what ever you use can't be sucked down inot the hole, because there will be suction on the metal tubes that is created by the exhaust. Its not alot of suction, but exercise cuation. Hope this helps

13. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Hey Dunc03 thanks for the info ill heed your advice. Dude how about that OUvsTexas game??? not rubbing it in dude, but it was a blast to watch. Actually a close game. But geez nothing compared to taking ISU on an taking there QB outta the running for Heisman Trophy......Ok gotta go c ya man.

Kamots

14. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

Yeah Texas turned into a bunch of B**ches after the first half, it like Mack Brown went into the locker room and castrated the team at half time. I swear any time Texas is leading at the half against OU or A&M they lose. Oh well I'm a baseball man and they won the National Championship last year so I'm happy.

15. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Oh sweet man im not into baseball but a TITLE is a TITLE eh. I spent a few young years in Brownsville, my dads from San Antonio. So i was raised on Cowboys football. I just wish the season was goin better. So many Offensive line injuries that they cant get Emmit any holes. At his age he needs a little more help than there giving em. Nice talking to yea man.

Kamots

16. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status