Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

top fabric

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grunt11b40x, May 27, 2004.

1. grunt11b40x

grunt11b40x 1/2 ton status

does anyone know of where I can get some water proof fabric to make a home made soft top for my 75 k5? /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

How about a war surplus army tent??.Some K-5's around here used some stuff they got at a boatyard,not sure if it was canvas or sail cloth,they coated it with stuff called CANVAK to waterproof it.You might also call some places that sell awnings,they could probably give you a better lead. I saw a blazer the other day that had a homemade soft top,or at least a ready made one with a blue tarp for the skin--dont think that would last very long though! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

When the local sewing contractor/ boat top maker did mine, they used tonneau cover material. Its waterproof, very tough, fade resistant, and comes in any color imagineable. The only bad thing with it is that it does shrink a bit in the cold, but... what doesnt right? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike