Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TOP GUN was geay!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by darkshadow, Mar 1, 2007.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

TG seemed ok back in the day... but it was on TV recently and I watched part of it and OMG was it crap. Why was there campy-crappy music playing in the backround of EVERY scene? terrible flick. Iron Eagle was the best 80s fighter-jock flick, even if it was cheesey as hell. lol!

j

4. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

BRING IT ON.....:doah: :D :p:

:bow: TOP GUN IS MY FAVORITE MOVIE EVER:bow:

I had the Sidespike(hairdothingamajang) going on until 7th grade after that movie.:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

:bow: "I feel the need, the need for speed":bow:

I could go on all day, but I don't want to embarasssssss myself to much

Iron Eagle rocked, I loved it when he put in that cassette tape...:bow: :haha:

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Top Gun would kick Iron Eagle's ass if they dogfighted.....................:haha: :haha: :haha:

I'll break it down real quick and let's see who would win...............

1. The motorcycles. Top Gun had the generic crotch rocket plastered with squadron stickers. Iron Eagle had some worn out dirt bike, but it went mano e mano with an airplane.

WINNER: Iron Eagle.

2. The players. Jason Gedric might have been good, but the cast of Top Gun took it over the top. Even Louis Gossett, JR couldn't save Iron Eagle.

WINNER: Top Gun

3. Action. This is a hard call. Top Gun, every fight was pretty even. Iron Eagle though, it was pretty much a one man show.

WINNER: Iron Eagle

4. Aircraft. While the case can be made that the F-16 is clearly superior to the F-14, that pansy little toothpick from the Air Farce isn't taking off and landing on some floating platform out at sea.

5. Music. This could be a close one folks. Groups like Queen and rockers like Dio contributed to a rock and roll, kick in the nuts soundtrack for Iron Eagle. I admit it, I had the soundtrack on cassette. The tunes just down right rocked. Throw in the Spencer Davis Group's contribution, which I admit to cranking from time to time really could give Iron Eagle the edge on this one.

As for Top Gun, some hard hitting tunes really helped the flick get over. With Kenny Loggins and the Top Gun theme, the movie was showing up for a fight. Even though we don't usually want to include Berlin's contribution as something that would make an action movie an action movie, the timing was right. But Top Gun brought something to the table that Iron Eagle couldn't, and that was an intriguing love story with major babage. SWIIIIIING!!!!!!!!! Throw in the bar bet scene, along with the closing moments at the little club; where if we remember served as the backdrop for a rendition of some kickass Jerry Lee Lewis tunes; the Righteous Brothers' hit, "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" edges out Iron Eagle by a nose.

The battle is close, but in my opinion, Top Gun narrowly beats out Iron Eagle. But for all intensive purposes, no one can go wrong by making a Friday Night double feature out of these two great flicks. Just don't go messing up the evening and adding the Iron Eagle sequels to the mix, you'll hate yourself forever..............................

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Top Gun may have had some decent songs in it... but the homoghey constant lame backround music just kills any chance it has of winning a "which has better music" comp with Iron Eagle. I demand a recount!

j

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

If there was no use of "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" in Top Gun, then Iron Eagle won win hands down..............................:haha:

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yup

GAY

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Tom Cruise made it ghey because he IS GAY.

10. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

If you look back on any "great" 80's movie or TV show it will seem geay and cheesey today. Just the way things change. Top Gun will always rank as one of the greats, Iron Eagle won't. The one thing I remember about Iron Eagle was one shot they showed of the pilot inside the cockpit and that cockpit had to be at least 4 ft. wide. It looked like he was sitting in a bathroom or something. Could have done a little better job of making that a little more realistic.

11. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

Yeah, thats most 80's movies

12. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

O.K. technical detail:

The scene where Mav. is on his Ninja on the flight; NO ONE is allowed on the flight line without strict authorization!!

Also, the way they filmed that scene, they had to do it at dust AND dawn because the flight line points West/East. Very confusing scene for we San Diegans!!

The building where they had the Topgun classroom was filmed at the NTC, not at Mira Mar NAS.

Unauthorized fly-bys like they showed is a guaranteed ticket to being discharged or courtmartialled!! Now once they're over the desert (Anza Borrego), they do all kinds of illegal fly-bys!! When I took my bright red new F-350 out there once, I was 'strafed' by a pair of F-18's!! They were so low I could read the numbers on the side of the plane. I stuck my head out right when they were pulling out of their dive (right above the truck!).
    They fly over Anza Borrego on their way out to the Nevada desert.

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Did the Grammar police actually post this:doah: :D

Ira

14. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Good eye :haha: :haha: :bow: :bow: !!

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Yes, I by God did............................:haha:

Now what the **** are you clowns up to trying to bring in some technical difficulties with Top Gun to discredit it???????????

Maybe we should bring up the whole "How did an 18 year old get into the simulator?" or "How did an 18 year old get away stealing a multi-million dollar aircraft?" subjects relevant to Iron Eagle...................:doah:

Throw out the technical BS and let's discuss this for what they are and keep the reality out of it please...............................................:D

16. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Define "superior" when comparing F-16's to F-14's.

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Faster, able to track multiple targets and fire on simultaneously, landing and stopping in <300ft on a floating airstrip that is not only moving forward but you are also landing at an angle to the direction of travel, taking off in <500 ft, 2 engines, recon pods, 50 cal.

And not an Airforce Asset:D .

Ira

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I agree Topgun is the ****ter:D .

Ira

19. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

About the only thing the F-16 does better than an F-14 is it turns tighter.

In a dogfight that helps but the F-14 could hit it OTH (Over The Horizon).

You can't outturn what you can't see:D

Ira

20. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I guess we were just following your lead...:whistle:

And since we're on this subject:

If the purpose of these machines is to kill the enemy, bottom line, then the F-14 wins hands down between the two.

The F-14 is a loooooooong range strike-fighter. Without infight refueling, a Tomcat can fly 800 NM, lock on and attack six different targets with Phoenix missles at the same time that is 130 NM away !! And then fly 800 NM back to the carrier. ALL WITHOUT INFIGHT REFUELING.

:D :D