Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

top off and hillbilly security sys (pics)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Apr 4, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

ok
    took the top off yesterday for the first time...had to take the dremel to two nuts that wouldnt budge but dont need them anyway so all is good.

then i realized...people can just walk up and steal crap out of the back....

so a trip to lowes and 20$ later(actually 19$ and change)...ive got the most redneck looking thing on earth

Pics

i plan to apply sealer to the wood, paint or carpet it like speaker carpet...and use it for hot days.

If anyone wants specs ill post em.

2. CamaroZ85

CamaroZ85 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif My brother did something similar when he moved to Az from NJ. He loaded up his stuff into the back of his 81 C1500. Got a few sheets of plywood, laid a nice big bead of silicone around the bed and screwed it in. When he gout out there, he removed it all and unpacked /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

hey, its cheap /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My securtiy solution is not leaving anything in the truck and having an old cassette deck for a stereo./forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I haven't locked my truck in 6 years, and I live in what is considered a high crime area...

The worst I've had is bums rooting through the truck looking for change in the ashtray.

Rene

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

That looks pretty cool!

[​IMG]

Put some indoor/outdoor carpet on that thing and it would look great.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

eww bums

id lock mine if i had to walk across the street

7. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I have the same security system as Rene. Worst I've had is someone rooting through the cassettes on the dash (Apparently they didn't like my choice in music since they only stole two or three), but they did leave a cigarette burning on my passenger seat!

Another time they decided they liked my steering wheel, but as soon as they popped the horn button the horn started going off and they took off running. Took my brother in law (who had borrowed the truck) a few minutes to realize that annoying noise was my truck, but no serious problems so far. Knock on wood!

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Most of the bums we get here are 'regulars'...no big deal. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They've never damaged anything, just looking to survive another hard day.

Rene

9. crroy71

crroy71 Registered Member

So what do you do with your spare tire?
    I have a soft top on mine, and the spare gets in the way when I try to let the top down. Just looking for any ideas.

Oh by the way, looks like it might rain in those pics, better get that top back on. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would not keep anyting of value in there if that is the case my personal opinion is that it looks like Sh*t if you know what I mean. I know it is cheap and that is how it looks...... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You made my wheels start to turn...about the bums and or people stealing your crap: If you live in a small town, just make sure everyone in the town knows your a rogue, hardcore badass thirsty for blood, and waiting for an excuse to whoop the piss outta somebody. That way no one will get within 100 yards of your truck...it works /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i would use it for a while till you can afford some kind of a soft top..i like the ones that make it look like a pickup!

13. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

ok...this just may be me...but for my application...which is keeping hands out of the back and keep stuff from flying out on the freeway...id much rather spend 20$ for what i have than 500$ for something i dont need.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. manyblazers

manyblazers Registered Member

Been doing the same this for about ten years now. You can make another piece that could hinge upwards at the front to cover the cab. I cut a hole in mine and put in a piece of plexiglass and then I use eye hooks to keep it closed. I put weatherstipping between the boards and it's fairly water proof too. I found piano hinges worked well and you don't get as much sagging.

15. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Sorry, but isnt the point of taking the top off to have the whole cab open and breezy (and to look cool)? It seems like y'all are defeating the whole purpose of takin the top off with the plywood ideas...why not just leave the top on if you're just gonna cover everything back up again?

16. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

"I laughed, I cried, I spilt juice on my good pants." yeah, I watch too much TV.

You could've at least used plywood instead of OSB. That's a little bit too redneck for me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Go to JoAnn fabric or an upholstery shop and buy some softop for cars. It's also used for things like lawn furniture. Glue it on with some headliner adhesive (3M stuff works good). You now have a tonneau cover looking thing. Far better looking than OSB. My Dad's old longbox S10 had a wooden one built in the truck. It was nice, you could stand on it. And that stuff is far more durable than the crap they make tonneau covers out of.

Of course, you could always get really hillbilly and glue on some bright green outdoor carpet with linoleum adhesive. It'd be mostly waterproof and look like you could golf on the back of your K5.

Or get yourself a good dog.

[​IMG]

17. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

120 lbs. of hungry doberman ought to do the trick.

18. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

i have a tuffy console and my regular road toolbox is chained down behind my seat (mostly to keep it from beating me to death if i rolled over). i rarely lock my doors and when i run with my soft top on i usually just lay the spare in the back and throw a cable lock around it to let the top lay back.
    peace.
    HAYDUKE

19. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

carpet makes all the difference in looks. If you get into mud with the top off it kind of sucks though!
    [​IMG]

more pics here

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Good idea but OSB swells and then comes appart in the rain. Get some marine grade plywood and it wil last if cared for, ie varnish, paint, toung oil.