Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top Off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LA Bogger, Apr 9, 2001.

1. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

How does everyone out there (without a garage) take your top off? I tried with muscle but that first step 9" lift and 39" swampers is killer.....1986 K-5

Eat More Mud!!!

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Last year I used the fork truck at work. I'm guessing you dont have one at your disposal. Got any trees in your yard? any buddies with with a garage and a pickup? (do it at their house and bring it home) If you were really in a bind you could break out some fancy carpentry skills and build a A frame out of some 2x4's winch it up with that and then break it down.

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5 [​IMG]

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

My old one had 33's... nothing like 38's, but just did a 2 man routine on it. Maybe park next to the house and put a blanket on the roof and flip it on the roof/blanket. I doubt anyone would steal it LOL.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah baby just took the top off last week. I didnt have anyone to help so I crawled into the back of the K5 and pushed the top up with my back, then grabbed the underside lips and did a paratrooper off the tailgate.[​IMG] I've got a half top, so I dont know if that'll work on a full top.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

try making a pully system in your yard

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I get in the backof the truck and walk the top off using my back. Then when it's about to teter off the back, I get off and basically pull it off. Then place it on blocks and leave it alone. It's a whole lot easier with two people but you gotta do what you gotta do.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

7. kwcdawgfan

kwcdawgfan Registered Member

8. HA! i thought i was the cool one that took it off by getting in and using my back.... looks like it's a common answer... a friend is a definite plus... ' it's heavy now.... see! i told you!'.......

if you live in an area that has a crime element, you could slide one of your windows open and loop a chain in there.....

greg

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

When you guys put the top back on do you ever have a problem with it leaking? Do you replace the seals often. I havent had mine off yet and just curious to see what I'm in for this summer.

10. mine goes back on with 4 bolts in the bottom, none in the header, and NO leaks. make sure you mating surfaces are clean, and spray a little silicone in that rubber gasket.........

if you haven't ever removed it before, the gasket my tear a bit, mine did....

greg

11. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

on my 74 i back the snowmobile trailer up to it and put the top on my back and strain my back my legs and everythings else and walk with it over to teh trailer once i drop it off the side (done so this) know i never take it off becouse its not on its broke =-(

Bandit
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)

12. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

If you have good connections you could find a loading ramp for semis some where and just back it up to that and slide it into there. The trick is then where to store it. Probably not the most realistic.

The I think what will work is find a big f***in tree and and get a pulley setup hanging from a good size branch. Rope up to your top, pull, and drive forward, than drop it. Pretty much like that article in the tech section.

[​IMG]