Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top Off

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by old blaze, Mar 13, 2006.

1. old blaze

old blaze Registered Member

I have a 1971 Blazer and i was looking the other day about taking the top off and i need some help are the bolts behind the back panel cause on my 87 they are on top just curious it's a double wall top if that helps thanks!

2. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    If you cant see any bolt heads on top of the bedrail then its a double wall and the bolts are behind the side panels. There is a rail with threads inside the top between the walls that the bolts screw into.

If it was a single wall you would see the top of the bolts in a rail on top of the bedrail.

So just take the side panels off on the interior of the bed and the bolts will be under the bed rail. If they haven't been out in a while don't be suprised if they are rusty and you may even break a couple. Hopefully your top is in good shape and they will come out well. You will also obviously have bolts at the windshield frame. Some in the middle very obvious and probly some in the supports for the visors at the corners. Also a lot of people forget the ones on the back when you open the tailgate you will see them on the sides.

Also invite 3 friends over to help you lift the dang thing off otherwise it will make nasty marks on one side or the other of your rig. I speak from experience on 2 different ones:doah:

3. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

get some friends and put 2x4's under the top going from one side to the other and pick it up slowly. If its double wall then I think they weigh like 250lbs. Their wicked heavy.