Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

top off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fright89, Oct 25, 2001.

1. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

has anybody had problems wheeling with the top off does it need to be there for strength

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i would say no. in fact, wheeling w/o the top saves about 300#'s so it will be easier on the drvietrain. If you are going to the dunes or mudding top off is a must for full affect[​IMG]

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've never had any problems...I ran my truck and wheeled it often with only a soft top for 9 months or so.

The only problem I had was all the branches, leaves and mud that would end up inside the truck...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

uh..I get branches leaves and mud in my truck even with the top on......

Seriously though, as long as your body mounts are good, and your not going to extreme flex levels, you should be fine.

--matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350 crate, 33's.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Roader</font color=red>

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Top off is better. On the 73-75's they are prone to cracking hard tops from flex. The Big problem that you get with these trucks is the body will loosen up when wheeled hard and often. The cracks in the tail gate that many of your trucks develop is from body flex putting stress on the gate. If I was running a stock gate on my 75 I would concider putting in bed braces like pre ruuners use to keep the stress off the gate. I'm concidering doing this on the Lady's 79 as I'm about to put a NEW gate on because the original is badly cracked and rust in it. I also have to replace the top seals at the roof because one of the seals is torn from the body flexing one way and the top flexing the other.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper