Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

top post conversion

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by LA90k5, Jan 22, 2007.

1. LA90k5

LA90k5 Registered Member

Has anyone on here converted their side post battery cables to top posts? I need some ideas for the passenger side battery where the positive cables are connected. The only thing I have found so far that I could do is cut the ends off and crimp a lug on the cables and put a marine style terminal on the battery post. Anybody got a better idea?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

On the old farm tractors I grew up with the terminal was just bolted on behind the nut already on the terminal clamp. You could even put a longer bolt in and double nut it.

3. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

That's pretty much the way I had cables on Blazer. They looked a bit hack because shop where I bought lugs and terminals didn't have proper pliers to press lugs on cables. And lugs where little bit big for the cable I used. But they worked. No more problems with voltage loss :D

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Though I did use the marine style terminal on my '79 K20 with a single battery and never had a problem starting the truck all the way down to 0 deg. The battery cables were 2 ga as well.

5. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Check your military surplus guys. The military is using a very heavy duty terminal with a bolt through it for cable connections. They are a whole lot heavier duty than your average marine terminal.
    Jimbo

6. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Semi's use a top stud thats 3/8ths course thread. And allmost all the truck dealers and bigger truck parts houses have the parts to make killer cables. Then its off to Sams club for a group 31 top stud battery (925cca and 69.95). The blazer and the semi have the same batteries now:wink1:
    George

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I made my own 2/0 guage welding cables with a lug, soldered not pressed on and marine battery posts.
    Works great :D