Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top Removal--Gasket leaks? How do you Fix?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, Jun 27, 2000.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

I jave heard that once you "break the seal" on the fiberglass tops, that they often leak and are a real Bitc* to take off and put back on in a hurry and that if you can't align the place where it was setting just right before you toook off the top...that leaks are inevitable. So? What do you do? What type of gasket can you get to put around the edges? do they still make that stuff?

AlsO, lOOKING FOR SOME KIND OF "JEEP LIKE" BIKINI TOP FOR THE Blazer. Whats out there? Kayline was all I remember from my days wheeling in my old Scout. I really don't want the interior to get soaked when it rains ( crushed velvet seats )

any information, insults greatly appreciated.

Thatnks
    -Dv8

"The one who blows their horn the loudest, is usually in the thickest fog".-- [​IMG]

2. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I would like to know the same thing

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

3. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

My current 87 has had the top on and off at least 30-40 times since I have owned it and I used to own a 77 that the top was on and off at least half that and usually stayed off for weeks at a time and never did I ever have a leak in either. I have a couple friends with Blazers and broncos that take thier tops off then they leak. The biggest reason I see why the top leaks after you put it back on is due to the person putting the top back on. TIGHTEN THE BOLTS TO THE ROOF BEFORE YOU TIGHTEN THE BOLTS TO THE BED. Every single time someone tells me their top leaks its because the way they put it on. Think about it. Why would you tighten the bolts to the bed before making a good seal to the roof?? No matter how tight you make the roof bolts its not going to seal if its not up against it and its not going to move up against it with the bed bolts tight. I think GM did a good job with the double seal (one seal on the cap and one on the truck) its the way people re-attatch the top which gives the top removal a bad rap. I had to throw this in because locally anyway this is the number one and only reason why the tops around here have leaked. Improper fastening

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

4. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

hey there,
    i had my top off about a month ago for the first time in six years, (previous owner never removed it). i had it off for a couple days then put it back on with only every-other bolt attached. No leaks at all. just tighten those top/cap bolts first to make a tight seal.
    also, you can buy new gaskets from LMC.
    HAYDUKE

http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com