Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top removal on '72

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ressurection, May 17, 2000.

1. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Top removal on \'72

I'd appreciate any help on this: Weather's getting great, I'd like to go topless, but I have a bit of rust. What do I look for to determine if the body is stable enough to keep it together w/o the top? Thanks!

Love those tri-year Blazers!

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: Top removal on \'72

Don't worry be happy Take it off and work on some of the rust while its off whats with the tri- year deal what do you mean I have a 74

3. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

How much rust and where is it. I have a 70 blazer that is very rusted (I can see the right rear tire from the drivers seat) and would never take the top off as it is the only thing holding it together. My body has alot of flex. Slight inclines are enough to keep the doors from opening. i can only imagine what it would be with the top off.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I HAVE TO SAY THAT A FULL TOP BLAZER , with the top on isn't as nice as without. I was driving mine today(wind in your hair bugs in your teeth, nice!!!). Fix what you can, if it's that rusty take the doors off that looks even cooler, don't be a WOOOOOSY you'll regret it. Try to have fun with it while you still can, loudtuneschevyfumes over & out

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Take that top off today! I have my top, doors and tailgate off and I love it! As long as everything isn't too rusted out, you should have no problems.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah Jason thats the spirit.It has to be taken apart before it can be put back together

7. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Hey, everyone thanks for the response! Chevyfumes, by "tri-year" I mean 1st generation Blazers. I just realized i screwed up on my math and that there were actually 4 years of 1st gen! Thanks for opening my eyes to that! Maybe my abicus needs new batteries!

Love those tri-year Blazers!

8. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Take off the top Do really think that it gives that much strenth to the body some yes but not much.

9. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

The biggest problem with alot of rust is getting the top back on. If it didn't snow 9 months out of the year I would get rid of mine,but it does and its not worth the hassle. What the top will do is stop excess flex of rusted sides. Also the sides can sag to the outside and your tailgate may not latch. No problem if you don't need it. If putting the top back on is not important then take it off. But if it is, it is not as simple as some would have you think(if you have a bad rust problem that is).

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The only issue I have ever had is one time I stored my top for almost two yrs and I stored it in the garage leaning on the wall and when it cam time to move I reinstalled the top only to find out tha one side of the bed rail bolt holes no longer lined up, the front of the top bolted on fine and so did the one side so all I can figure out is that by storing it for so long the top became warped![​IMG] So if you are gonna store it for any amout of time it may be a good idea to store it flat! I perrsonally don't like the hard top anyway and will be removing it once again very soon! I have a Kayline soft top that accually seals better than the hardtop with the old rubber seals! Plus I love the convertable feature and the rolled up safari look with the soft top is kinda neat too!![​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

11. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

i'm thinking that if reinstallation is an issue, you could just bolt some pieces of flatbar across the rails, side to side. you'd still get the convertible, and it would at least prolong the inevitable.
    i don't think the top necessarily adds strength as much as structural integrity. the addition of the cross bars wouldn't make it a sports car, but it would be much better than just the tailgate holding the ass-end together

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>